• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Only shot the camera today: creeks, mtns & kaykers

Started by Okanagan, February 01, 2014, 06:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

Thought the snow level was right for good tracking but it was warmer up on the nearby mountains than down here in town, so no tracking snow on driveable roads.  Took a few pics and came home early.

Creek from logging road bridge.  Scenics for those in other parts of the country.  Clear water.

Kayakers on the Chilliwack River.  This is an easy stretch -- class II rapids?  My trouble with a point and shoot camera is that it is always too slow to catch peak action shots.  So my pics of a kayak buried or standing on end were always a second later of a boat back in stable position.  :shrug: :laf:

Creek canyon from across the Chilliwack River Valley.  Canadian military has shooting ranges and demolition training ground up that way or I would have hunted up that road.  More snow on that north face/colder side of the valley but in years past I've called coyotes, cougars and bobcats up there, and passed a small buck one time.   It used to be open but has been closed for four years.  The headwaters of this creek are in the US and the farthest mountain in the pic is in the US.  View is looking straight south.

FinsnFur

My god those first two pics have got so much going on it's almost disorienting. Contrasts on top of contrasts :congrats:
The last pic..at first glance I thought that creek was a road and small village and I was thinking to myself holy crap those mountains are incredibly intimidating. And well...they STILL are :eyebrownod:
Awesome pics. Thanks for sharing em.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Okanagan

You're welcome!  Yep, that S turning ribbon in the bottom photo is a creek. The road up that valley is mostly hidden in the trees on the left side of the creek, along the hillside.   Not in view but there are glaciers hanging above the upper end of the creek canyon.   You'd have fun with your camera out here... hint!

MI VHNTR

VERY nice pictures. All of the water here is in the frozen state, so there's very little kayaking going on.
The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting.
It's about Freedom.

Let's Go Brandon.  FJB

Hawks Feather

Great images.  Everything here is WHITE.  Maybe even white on white.  The only good thing is that there is more snow predicted for Tuesday.   :doh2:

Jerry

Okanagan

On the other side of the nearest mountain range it was -18 F yesterday, two or three hours drive for me to get into those temps.   I plan to go over there next week to find tracking snow for cats.

I grew up in desert and once in awhile like to cook the chill out of my bones. Wish I could swap weather with John in Arizona once in awhile! 

nastygunz

I would love to hit that little Creek with my 6 foot, 2 weight flyrod!

JohnP

Quote from: Okanagan on February 02, 2014, 01:16:38 PM
I grew up in desert and once in awhile like to cook the chill out of my bones. Wish I could swap weather with John in Arizona once in awhile!

Your more than welcomed to come on down, but rest assured we ain't swapping.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Okanagan

Quote from: JohnP on February 02, 2014, 03:37:53 PM
Quote from: Okanagan on February 02, 2014, 01:16:38 PM
... Wish I could swap weather with John in Arizona once in awhile!

Your more than welcomed to come on down, but rest assured we ain't swapping.

:biggrin: :alscalls:

Okanagan

Quote from: FinsnFur on February 01, 2014, 06:16:51 PM

The last pic..at first glance I thought that creek was a road and small village and I was thinking to myself holy crap those mountains are incredibly intimidating. And well...they STILL are :eyebrownod:
Awesome pics. Thanks for sharing em.

They intimidate me!  Just noticed that a Google map option shows a Canadian Forces "bivouac site" way up on the shoulder of one of the far mountains, several miles from the nearest road and no trails showing.  Wonder if any of those boys are camping up there tonight?  I'm surprised they let anyone put it on a map. 

I have seen evidence in years past of soldier exercises in the woods on those mountainsides when I used to call critters up that valley.  There is a demolition training site up there that would set off blasts to rattle your teeth. Always wondered if the shock wave ever set off an avalanche.  Nothing to damage up there if it did. 

Wish they would open that road again.  My wife's favorite picnic spot was at the end of the road, glaciers hanging close above us.  The pic again, below:

HaMeR

Great pictures of a beautiful place!! Thank You for sharing Ok!!!!!!!!   :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11