• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

BIIIG black bear

Started by Okanagan, May 04, 2014, 09:09:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

Ditto on all counts.

These coastal bears don't fully hibernate during mild winters and this past winter was very mild in that area.  One was seen in January.

Re how fat it was, my friend commented that this one must have spent the winter in a McDonald's dumpster!  (It was 15 miles from town so not likely).

Bear fat makes the finest lard and I've heard that French pastry chefs prefer it.  We cut off close to 100 lbs. of fat that I would like to have rendered but didn't want to pack it.   A Fall bear taken from a corn field or from huckleberry slopes has the best fat of all:  pure white and smells wonderful while rendering.  Not so if he lived by a salmon stream!

FWIW bear numbers are coming back on the west side of the Olympic Peninsula, decades after being decimated by forestry companies to protect trees.  My son now sees them regularly when hunting and scouting elk near Amanda Park.

FOsteology

Amanda Park is the area that I've hunted in Western Washington. Saw some bears, but rather on the smallish size and their fur looked thin and "patchy".

I think the rule changes of not allowing baiting and hounds has played a big role in their recovery. With no baiting allowed, it seemed a lot of guys had no clue how to hunt them. The Indians from what I gather, have layed the smack down on the elk and salmon over the years.

Beautiful country though! One of these days I'll need to head back out that way.

Carolina Coyote

Congratulation's to the young lad! Just a great experience for him that will last a lifetime . That is a very nice bear and trophy for sure. You are doing a good job and great service exposing these you men to the great sport of hunting and spending time in the outdoors.
:highclap:   :highclap:  :highclap:  :congrats:  :bowingsmilie:

Okanagan

Yesterday was the first day I felt like I'd recovered from hunting and packing the bear-- and I was wrong.   :alscalls:

A personal tidbit is that Jon hiked out to our vehicle and brought back a large frame pack and some water while I whittled on bear.   I was dripping sweat for several hours.  I drank two liters of water out by the bear, two liters of cold milk when we got to our rig and nearly two more of water when we got to our friend's place where we were staying. Normally I get up to take a leak a few times at night.  Not that night, even after drinking over 5 liters of liquid within a few hours before bed.   :confused: :shrug: :wo: :laf:

Jon also brought back some other provisions.  I haven't seen these huge candy bars in the States, lots of whole hazel nuts in Belgian chocolate.  Good man!

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

Now you have me hungry for CHOCOLATE!  I noticed Belgium on the wrapper and they do make some great chocolate.  Since it is Mother's Day I may have to go out and see if I can find my wife some chocolate - maybe even get two while I am out.

Jerry

possumal

Great story and pictures, Okanagan.  Kudos to Jonathan on a lifetime trophy. :congrats: :congrats:
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff