• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

mountains and a couple of mountain goats in distance

Started by Okanagan, October 04, 2014, 01:59:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

Yesterday afternoon I finally got out for my first deer foray of the year.   The road I discovered last year was washed out two miles before the end where I was planning to hike another mile and a half and spend the night in alpine meadows, hoping for a blacktail buck.   All uphill so I bagged my overnight plan and hunted a grown up clear cut till dark and went home.  Overcast sky with impending rain.

While I watched a two acre bowl close to me I got to checking out the mountains to the north across the canyon and immediately picked up two mountain goats.  They are on the center mountain in the pic below, the lowest looking peak.

Zoomed in a bit closer, below.  I know where they are yet can barely detect them in the first pic below.  In the second max zoom they are just above and right of center.  The other white spots are remnants of an early snow.  Without a spotting scope I suppose the two white spots that moved could be mobile snowmen but they were shaped like goats.  Not quite as close as Code's goat that sniffed of his GoPro camera!

And then a view southeast. 

coyote101

That is some spectacular scenery.  :biggrin: I saw some sheep in Alaska, but have never seen a mountain goat.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

snafu

"Smartest man, knows but a grain of sand. In the desert of truth"

JohnP

Thanks for the pictures, what mountain range is that?
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Okanagan

John, the mountains are a discrete range/cluster of peaks north/northeast of Mt. Baker, which is in WA State.  These are across the line in Canada.  In WA the continuous chain of peaks is called the North Cascades so I'd say they are part of that range though none of my maps give them a collective name.

It is poor deer hunting and I don't mind showing where it is.  :laf: Here is a Google Earth link

If that doesn't work do a Google Earth search for Airplane Creek (near Chilliwack in BC) and look at the snow laced peaks north of the creek.  I think the goats were on Foley Peak but it could be Welch or even The Still.

Okanagan

Got to looking some more and one map calls that group of mountains the Cheam Range.  Mt. Cheam is the highest of the group, on the northwest end.