• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Pineapple Express follows Polar Express

Started by Okanagan, December 10, 2014, 11:17:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

Potent combination of weather sequence here.  After 10 days of heavy rain we suddenly had a full week of unusual cold, 30 below inland on bare ground, and down in the teens on the coast.  That was followed by more heavy rain on the lowland coast with corresponding deep snow at higher elevations and inland.  Now suddenly we have warm weather and heavy tropical style rain.

The result is devastating.  Inland the ground is deeply frozen under heavy snow on which it is raining.  Sooner or later it will thaw but meanwhile it sets up incredible icing conditions, turning any compact snow into a layer of glaze ice with water on it.  Many roads, even highways, were compact snow yesterday and are sheets of wet ice today.  Pic below is of an unpaved secondary highway yesterday afternoon in a dry area that gets little snow or rain. 

Ten miles from this pic the snow is knee deep.  If it freezes in this state, the crust will be killer to big game in areas which have deep snow.

Here on the coast, the early wet made for lots of seeps and trickles which turned into stupendous walls of ice on all of the steep country, huge frozen waterfalls and great walls of cliff all covered in a thick layer of ice.  All of that is now melting in torrential rain plus melting the deep snow above on the same mountains.  Ski resorts are lamenting rain on the early snow. 

Yesterday afternoon on my way back from a mule deer hunt I aborted due to weather, the number and size of waterfalls bashing and exploding in spray down the vertical mountains near Hope were the biggest I've seen.  Two of them were slopping gravel and rock laden splash across the eastbound lanes of the Trans-Canada freeway.  A crew just arriving was shutting down the lane next to the bottom of the cliff.  Sure enough, they closed both lanes of the eastbound highway, unsure when it will reopen.  Local rivers are at flood warning.  The rain has slowed at the moment here but more is on the way.

HaMeR

HOLEE SMOKES!!!!!!!!!!! That is just nasty!!!!! Stay safe up there Ok!!
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

HuntnCarve

It's going to be a long Winter I'm afraid.  You be careful out there Clyde.

Dave

FOsteology

FinsnFur

That reminds me of skitching behind the UPS truck lol

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

They had a piece on the 6:00 p.m. news about the snow in the east and the rain/snow in the west.  I guess some days it pays to live in the middle.

Jerry

Dale

well now that just sucks... hope the game makes out ok with the icing...
when you step out of the truck you become part of the food chain...