• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Cow Horns

Started by keekee, April 10, 2007, 12:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keekee

I am having a hard time finding good cow or bull horns for howlers. I have always bough from moscow hide and fur in the past. There stock is way down and the last four orders I have placed with them have been junk! I been sending more back than I can use. The ones they have been sending me are very egg shaped and all most solid all the way threw.

The horns that work the best for me are 10" to 12" horns. Polished or UN polished either will work.

Anyone got any good links?

Brent

bearmanric

i'll be nice. Rick

bearmanric

but here is the best place. Rick

http://www.boonetrading.com/index.html

MattS

I get all mine from a guy I found on ebay.  I contacted him directly and worked with on price.  He has tons of horns and they are all polished.  Just tell him what size and colors your are looking for and he has always had what I wanted.  His name is Ralph Mckinley and you can email him at RMcKBones@aol.com.  Like everything else, the more you order the cheaper it is.  They usually go for about $10'ish a piece after shipping.

Ladobe

Brent -

Good horn material can usually be found at muzzleloading/black powder supply houses.   They stock them for reenactors who make their own powder horns.   White horn that can be scrimshawed draws pretty high prices at these places, but the others are usually a good enough deal.   There are hundreds of these supply houses, so I won't try to link them.   They are easy to find with a quick search.   Usually the best materials/deals are not found at the larger or better known houses though, but rather from one-man or family operations.

Larry

Rick -  :rolleye:
USN 1967-1971

Thou shalt keep thy religious beliefs to thyself please.  Meus

bearmanric

What Ladobe said. you can find some cool stuff at the muzzle loading site's. Boone is one i think. want to make a knife one day. that would be fun. Rick

Ladobe

Rick,

I have a whole box full of Russell Green River blades, cutlers rivets and fancy scales left over from when I made them up for the trade blankets at Voo's.     Keep me in mind when you get ready to make a knife and I'll send you one to play with.   

Larry
USN 1967-1971

Thou shalt keep thy religious beliefs to thyself please.  Meus

bearmanric

cool thank you Ladobe. a nice burl or antler i have a real big axis horn coming will have to save a peice for the Handle. i met a guy this last summer at woodcraft he was making a powder horn. pretty cool did every thing by hand. Rick

Hawks Feather

Larry,

Not fancy, but early 70's Green River buffalo skinner.

Jerry

ninthinning

Jerry, Is that knife for sale?
Their horses are swifter than leopards, fiercer than wolves at dusk - Habakkuk 1:8

Hawks Feather

Ninth,

That one is one of the first that I made and don't want to part with it.  I will look and see if I still have some of the older blades.  I bought a bunch of them at the time, made a few up and gave them to others in the blackpowder trade.  I will have to check.

Jerry

ninthinning

Thanks for looking.  Been skinning alot of beaver and could use a Green River knife.
9th
Their horses are swifter than leopards, fiercer than wolves at dusk - Habakkuk 1:8