• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

For Uncle John's 60th...

Started by Coulter, October 26, 2015, 07:04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coulter

My wifes uncle John that is. It was the least I could do since he got me out of hanging out with her kin folk at a wake a year or two ago. He drug me out to shoot muzzleloaders and visit some local gun shops instead. I gotta get down and do some squirrel hunting with him soon. Anyway...his new deer knife that my wife asked me to make him for his 60th birthday. Birdseye Maple and African Blackwood with a handrubbed oil finish. And it is razor sharp...The hair hasn't quite grown back on my arm yet from when I tested it. :eyebrownod:

And then there is this other knife. I made it as a waterfowling/predator knife with bocote scales. It has a nice thin blade perfect for dressing birds or skinning some predators out. It doesn't have a home yet, I'm not sure I want to sell it just yet :doh2:

Hawks Feather

Nice looking blades.  Makes me want to head to the basement and do some work.

Jerry

Coulter

Well quit pecking away at your keyboard and get to working slacker!

Oh and thank you :biggrin:

FinsnFur

I like it I like it.  :congrats:
Im not able wrap my head around how you smooth and polish the handles. I can imagine your sanding a pretty rough blank to start with, but the wood is going to give a lot more then those brass pins as it's sanded. :confused: :confused:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Coulter

Thanks Jim and Nasty...the brass actually sands away pretty easy. The Birdseye actually has nickel silver pins, it sand away pretty easily as well.

FinsnFur

Interesting :confused:  By the way...I love the photography perchs you use there :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Coulter

Yep, something just didn't seem right with the knife just laying there by itself. I figured it looked better propped up on a piece of cherry burl.