• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Coyotes threaten deer hunting

Started by KySongDog, August 08, 2016, 05:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KySongDog

I saw this article and thought it was pretty interesting.   Basically it says coyotes are decimating the deer fawn crop.  As a result, in order to save the deer, one can expect reduced bag limits on deer hunting.  I can remember when ALL does were protected.  Hopefully we won't go back to those days.

Coyotes are a True Threat to Deer Hunting

nastygunz

Let's not forget Yogi bear!

"UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. -- An ongoing cooperative study of fawn mortality between Penn State's College of Agricultural Sciences and the Pennsylvania Game Commission at two sites in central Pennsylvania has revealed that black bears are a major predator of young white-tailed deer.

Wildlife biologists knew that black bears kill an occasional fawn, according to Justin Vreeland, graduate research assistant in the Pennsylvania Cooperative Fish & Wildlife Research Unit, but they were surprised about how many.

"We didn't really expect to find that Pennsylvania black bears are the efficient predators of fawns that they are," he says. "It is widely known that the state's large population of coyotes prey on fawns, but it now looks like bears kill as many, possibly more."

KySongDog

With all of this predator activity, the only sure way to protect the deer herd is to limit or stop doe harvests and/or shorten seasons.   Not good.

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Carolina Coyote

There has been a study in South Carolina , Georgia, and Alabama for the past few year and the Coyotes have reduced the Herds in all 3 states , on our hunting property in Georgia we have been trapping Coyote and Bobcats for the last 3 years and have been pretty successful more than 20 Coyotes per year trapped and several more killed while hunting and calling them in. We now are seeing more does with two Fawns than the 3 previous years. I remember in the past there was some that denied that Coyotes were having an impact on the Deer Herd but these studies proved without a doubt they definitely have an impact .

riverboss

Deer are as thick as ticks here! With a good coyote population,
I hear them cut loose in several different directions, and call in lots of deer while calling coyotes.
My fawn numbers are always good but we do have a lot of cats get dropped off that don't stick around long.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 C HD using Tapatalk

trailtwister

We hunt coyotes more than we hunt deer. We are always getting a call from some farmer that coyotes are to close to their calving barns in their feed lots eating grain and around the lambing sheds.
Started about 5 years ago when John (a cattle farmer) was at the grain mill getting some grain ground and standing with other farmers shooting the breeze when one mentioned coyotes just about every day around his calf pens and wished he know some hunters to get rid of them. John volunteered us. We get word of mouth calls from other farmers all the time.
We also have a fur buyer who has even took our summer time hides which if the first summer we can hunt them in Michigan.

We six
There are six of us who will hunt coyotes just about any day of the week plus any time of the day. We also hunt other things together and fish together at times.
John and I worked together John also owns a farm with beef cows and his wife keeps and sells horses. Bret is Johns brother in law owns a small farm where he and his wife keep a few goats and chickens plus raise Pine trees for people to plant in their yard and sell as live Xmas trees.
I met Lee when visiting our daughter in college where Lee's daughter was going also found out we live just about next door to each other only 6 miles apart but in different school districts. Lee owns a small equipment construction company. Dean is a insurance agent and Lee's brother in law.
Milt I met at the sportsman club I belong to. We were running to each other every Sunday on the sporting clays course where I shot a couple rounds before going to work. Talking we found we did a lot of the same things and decided to join up for a carp shoot when they started spawning in the spring. Milt owns a small engine repair shop and sells Jonsered and Echo chain saws and other lawn care products.

Just about any day of the week one of us will call another and so forth and go hunt coyotes. Is even better now with Michigan finally saw no need to close the season in April.
John buying feed for his cattle at the mill one day ran into a group of farmers talking about bold coyotes to close to the feed lot and John volunteered us to help fix the problem. That was about 5 years ago, today we have a standing invite to hunt coyotes at 30 some farms, can hunt deer on 8 of them and pheasants and other small gam on 27 of them.
All this came about from that first farmers likening how we respect his land, park out of the way, close gates we open leave those open we found open. Do not drive in the fields, clean up any dead critters.
It has just snow balled.

WE started out with a couple mouth calls but all ended up with home built E callers, we have now gotten a couple boughten E callers now though.
Rifles range from Remington 788 22-250, Remington 700 243's Savage 250 and a Remington 742 wild cat. Ruger 77- 220 swift and 77 243.

We like shot guns at night and in close to buildings. I use a Ithaca Model 37 featherlite 12ga and a Charles Daily  ou 12ga. There are 3 Remington 870's A Mossberg 500 and a Winchester 21.

They came yesterday (week after my KRS) and said they would take me out even though I was a cripple. One would carry my rifle and another would carry my pitiful pile of gear and we would go hunt couple farms where I would only have to hobble a couple hundred yards. Also maybe go hunt Chucks (a friend) farm and he would probably cart me in his golf cart to a set up spot. Great bunch of clowns to hang with.

:eyebrownod:  Al

Your not fully dressed with out a smile.