• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

In Praise of Suspenders

Started by Okanagan, October 05, 2016, 12:56:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

I've never been a suspenders man, not till the last couple of years.  They were for old guys and loggers with stagged pants.

But a few years ago I got to thinking and tried them with light wool pants on a winter calling safari.  Wow!  Loose fitting, no binding around the waist, warmer in the cold, freer for walking â€" what's not to like?  (Other than the coolness and looks factor.) 

Anybody else wear suspenders specifically for hunting?  That’s the only time I wear mine. 

riverboss

I wear them a lot anymore my wife says I have the no butt at all disease!
I can't keep my pants up.
I like wearing mine under my shirt with my shirt not tucked in! On problem is going to the john I have to take my shirt off for #2.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 C HD using Tapatalk

Okanagan

Quote from: riverboss on October 05, 2016, 04:56:45 PM
I wear them a lot anymore my wife says I have the no butt at all disease!
I can't keep my pants up.
I like wearing mine under my shirt with my shirt not tucked in! On problem is going to the john I have to take my shirt off for #2.

Good idea on wearing them under the shirt and let the shirt tail hang.   :highclap:  Will do. 

I haven't had as much problem with #2 as I expected.  So far I've used the alligator clamp type suspender ends to grip the waistband of my pants, and I can release them and just let the suspender ends hang free.  They have been easier than expected to reattach... mostly by braille...

Frogman

You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

coyote101

NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

riverboss

I took the clips off and put small carabineers on them they don't look great but my pants don't fall and I don't have to pull them up.

Frogman

I found some at Rural King that have upside down hooks on them to hook under your belt!  They work great!  I especially like them when shooting pistol matches.  I can hardly keep my pants up with my 1911 on one side and a couple of magazines on the other side!?!?  Wear them hunting too!  My belly gets bigger and my ass gets smaller???  Disgusting!!  I tell my concealed carry students that it is my concealment girth that I have invested years of hard work in to develop!!  I'm not sure they are buying it???

Jim

Okanagan

Great ideas, both the small carabineers and especially the upside down hooks!  Gotta do something to hold mine up better.

Yesterday afternoon I merely had a folding saw in my back pocket but its weight kept pulling the suspender on that side off and letting my pants drop. 

FWIW, I bought some synthetic undershorts at Cabela's on sale and discovered that the slick material won't stay up on my bod.  My solution is to grip the top edge of the underwear in back in the suspenders clip, one bite with pants and underwear clamped together.  (We avoid any stitch of cotton clothes in our wet world.)

Added:  did my research and discovered Perry suspenders with their belt clip, which is what Rural King sells.  RK wants too much to ship so checked the Perry suspenders store online and found extra strong Ruf & Tuf suspenders made to hold up tools.  Also found a store 15 miles from me, across the line natch, that sells Perry suspenders so will go there tomorrow and decide which length to buy.

THANK YOU FROGMAN!

pitw

I say what I think not think what I say.

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

pitw

Quote from: FinsnFur on October 13, 2016, 10:43:17 PM
Barry :laf: wtf

I gots a buddy who's [prospectors animal] is so skinny pt don't get wet in the shower as everything slides off. He makes a set of braces with twine and they work.
I say what I think not think what I say.

Okanagan

I scored a set of Perry suspenders with belt hooks yesterday.  REALLY LIKE THEM!  Thank you, Frogman!

http://perrysuspenders.com/percamsusreg.html

At Dave's Sports in Lynden, Washington I got 2 inch wide regular length (48") in camo color for $11.95, cheaper than any I found on the internet and no shipping.    They are skookum, but I still plan to check out the heavy duty tool belt support Ruf & Tuf model if I get down to a store that carries them on Monday.  The 48 inch length is barely long enough for me and another inch or two would be better.  I have short legs and a long wide upper body, (OK, and a big belly now).

The hook in back is wide and split in the middle to hook on both sides of the middle back belt loop. 

The hooks work best with a stiff belt, and a soft one will tend to scrunch or roll up.  That is where I may go to twine.  I think using twine or para cord in place of a belt will work and that will add about 3/4 inch of useable length to the suspenders, which I would prefer. 

Just got to thinking:  a simple hook/carabineer would hook the belt loops on pants.  Is that how you do it, Riverboss?   Hmmm, twine and hooks... 

riverboss

Yes just hook the belt loops. Sounds like a great deal on those.

Frogman

Yep, Okanagan, Perry, those are the ones!!

Jim

JohnP

Belt hooks for me.  I do have a couple of suits (for church only) that have buttons sewed on the inside of my pants for those fancy suspenders. 
When they come for mine they better bring theirs