• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Lathe question

Started by awh, April 26, 2007, 11:02:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

awh

I ordered Cam a Grizzly mini lathe a few weeks ago. He has turned 3 calls and replaceed the motor and circuit board. After I put the board in I slapped a piece of maple on to see if it was going to work. By the time I got the 1-1/2" blank to round I had blew 5 fuses on the @#$%^ thing. It seems that when cutting, if the tool hits a hard spot causing the blank to slow in rpm's they blow.
My question is if I up the fuse from a 3amp to say a 5 amp, do you think the motor or board is going to go out again?
It has a 1/3 HP DC motor. And the board is to change from dc to ac. As far as I can tell??

My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.

THO Game Calls

I don't know what would happen - might work might not - but I do know that back in the day before circuit breakers, when we had fuse boxes, that was the reason they put In God We Trust on pennies - - because people put them in the fuse boxes LOL

It sounds like it gets a sudden surge when you bog down a bit.  If it is under waranty, you might want to try it and then hope for the best. 

I looked on the old alt.rec.woodturning group and nothing came up when I searched on Grizzley and Fuse. 

I know you called them about it, but it sure does seem strange.

Al
THO Game Calls
www.thogamecalls.com
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

awh

Al,
This thing is driving me nuts. Cam turned 3 calls and the motor went out. Then after replacing the motor the circuit board went out. Now fuse after fuse that goes to the circuit board. It's under warranty, and Tony in customer service knows me real well by now. I've talked to him on the other items several times and knows that I'm about to use it as an anchor.

We have Grizzly table saws, planners, jointers, arm saws, drill presses and dust collectors. I think I have changed a switch out a few times on one of the arm saws and that was it. But this is getting old real quick. I'm going to try a 5 amp fuse and if it continues I'm going to try a Jet lathe.
My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.

THO Game Calls

WAIT -------

let me run and get the fire extinguisher!

just in case.

Good luck - be careful.

Al
THO Game Calls
www.thogamecalls.com
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

Carolina Coyote

It sounds to me like you have a low voltage problem in the wiring coming to the lathe have you checked that? Carolina Coyote

Arkyyoter

Before you run and buy a Jet....take a look at the Rikon......so far I am very pleased with mine...

Joe