• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

From a newbie, a couple of calls to view

Started by Braz, May 02, 2007, 11:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Braz

I have been wandering about on this forum for awhile now, and posting just a bit. I decided it was time to post a couple of calls that I have made.  I have been making calls for several years now, and buy a lot of supplies from Al, at THO Game Calls. He has been encouragiing me along. Thanks Al.

This frist call is made from a piece of Juniper, which is a wood that is very prolific out here in the West. I picked up a piece from a friends wood pile, and had to work to find a piece that would turn. This is what I got.

Here is a pretty piece of Cocobolo with a THO soundboard.

Lastly, a piece of Manzanita that is a scrub bush that grows out here in the West. It splits very badly when drying so it is a problem to find a piece of wood big enough to make a call from. This piece took quite a bit of cutting and triming from a big old 5 inch dry limb.

I hope you find my calls interesting and I would very much like to hear your comments, both good and bad.
Braz

Hawks Feather

Lynn,

I like the second call the best - based on the size and shape.  I also like the third call.  While not being unique it has clean lines and just looks good to me.  The first call is the one that I like the least.  Shape doesn't do anything for me, but I give you credit for being able to turn it with that "what knot" in there.

Jerry

Brad H

I bought my last batch of howler reed material from Al. I also recommend buying from there.

Your calls look good, but the juniper is a little harsh with that big bite out of it. I think I still have a couple pieces of actively colored juniper in my basement sealed, dried, and ready to be turned. If you want, I'll send ya some to play with next week when I get home from work.

Brad

FinsnFur

The first one caught my eye too. The shape is nothing lavashing, but that knot in there like that more then makes for it. Very unique  :yoyo:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

awh

OK...Give it up. How many "F" bombs were thrown around while turning the first one? LOL
I like the second one the best.
My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.

Todd Rahm

Sometimes characteristics of the wood can be neat lil' blessings, and sometimes not.  :biggrin: In this case its really hard for me to say as it boils down to preference, but ya know, while the shape doesn't really grab me it still looks fine and I kinda like the bite missing out of this call (Character).

Second call is nice too, but I have to agree with Jerry on the third call. Not allot to it, but it has a subtleness that catches the eye

Braz

Hey, thanks for the comments. Appreciated. Like you said, the first call is a bit lacking in style, but while turning it I really didn't have much choice. I was a bit deformed, as you can see. But I still like it due to the character it has.

Brad, sure I would love to have a piece of your juniper stash. I'll send you a pm with my info. And thanks.
Braz

Braz

I was going to send a PM to Brad but the system won't allow it. If you will send me one I will resond to it. Guess I am just to much of a newbie here. :shrug:
Braz

Hawks Feather

Yep, you need 25 posts to be "connected".  I think it keeps the Seagulls (birds or people in this case, that fly in, make a lot of noise, crap all over everyone, and they fly away) from causing problems.  [As I have always said, "I could be wrong.  I often am."

Jerry

Braz

Yea, I kinda thought that was the reason. I think it can be a good thing too. I am trying to post to get to the magic number.  :eyebrownod:
Braz

Brad H

PM sent.

But if anything gets crossed up, you can get me here;

rebl70@midrivers.com

Brad

Braz

I sent an e-mail as it seems I can't respond to PM either. So I am just going to have to get "chatty" (is that a word?) so I can get those 25 posts recorded.    :biggrin:
Braz