• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

First liver & onions of the year

Started by Okanagan, September 03, 2022, 08:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

Grandsons Code and Jon killed deer on the first and second days of the archery season.  Code gave me the liver from his, which I love.  Big mild, sweet onions are ripe in the garden though my wife makes me cook it outside.  Code knocked on my door with a grin on his face just before sundown Sept. 1, an hour after he left to go deer hunting.

Code had been watching this buck, the second biggest he's seen this year. The bigger buck disappeared two weeks ago.  He stalked this one in its bed, jumped it at 20 yards and got it to stop at 46 yards.  He bleated at it from behind a doe decoy and it stopped broadside to look back at him.  The mechanical broadhead expands to two inches wide.  It zipped through the buck, cut a rib on the off side and kept going. 

I haven't even seen Jon's deer, a doe he shot at dusk on Sept. 2, the first time he hunted.  32 yards on his.  He saw deer several hundred yards away across a field.  He hunkered behind a wood pile and hoped the deer would come closer and they did, with just enough time left for a shot.  Jon was tempted to hold out for a buck but with two kids and another on the way, busy with new place, he decided to fill his tag.

These are the two boys who shot two deer with their bows within seconds one morning and told the story here when they were about 13 and 14 years old. 

pitw

Congrats to the guys. :yoyo:
Can't stand the smell or taste of any liver myself. :puke:
Our local CO will take them from gutpiles if fresh enough. :doh2:  :puke:  :puke:  :puke:
I say what I think not think what I say.

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Okanagan

Quote from: nastygunz on September 04, 2022, 04:25:46 AMBlacktails?

Yes.  Pure blacktails:  100 air miles, across a big body of water and a mountain range from the nearest mule deer or whitetail.

If Code's buck had four points on both sides instead of just the one, it would probably make the Pope & Young archery record book.  As noted before, real blacktails don't get very big in the antler department. 

Hawks Feather

Congratulations on the buck, but I will pass on the liver. Now, fried onions are great, especially with cubed steak.

JohnP

Nothing wrong with liver and onions. 

Tell them boys congratulations from an old man out in the desert.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

nastygunz

mmmmm liver n onyums, I like to throw in a little garlic and some mushrooms too.

Okanagan

Had breakfast with Grandson, Jon, yesterday morning; fresh venison and eggs.  He's had a fork horn buck hanging around his yard lately.  He told me that just before he shot the doe the other evening, he whispered to his brother, Code, that if he shot the doe the fork horn would be in his yard the next morning.  It was.  Generally only one tag per person per year in WA. :readthis:

Yesterday morning, his wife was studying for the hunter safety test so she can buy a license and try for the fork horn.  :highclap:

remrogers

That is a real nice blacktail buck. Congratulate the young man.

bambam

nastygunz

coyote101

Very nice. Congratulations to the grandsons.  :congrats:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing