• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Weather and frailty nixed my elk hunt

Started by Okanagan, November 09, 2022, 10:56:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

Our general rifle season for elk is on and I planned to hunt at least one day of it.  I was going to stick close to my vehicle, park where I could see an elky spot within rifle range, take a nap, etc.  We have a couple of inches of snow here at the house, more in the elk country, cold and windy, trees down all over.  My son had to cut trees to reach a ridge he hunted over the weekend opener. The ridge had a foot of heavy wet snow. Rain is normal here, snow is unusual. 

I don't feel much like going, not fully well after a month of being sick. Grandson Code put the finishing touch on staying home.  He thought that in my condition I should not go out into sketchy places alone.  Besides whatever trouble I might get myself into, it would likely force some of the family to take off work to come get me... even if the trouble was that I shot an elk that fell off the road into a canyon, or even down an embankment for that matter.

He is right.  Hot coffee at home is good! 

I hunted hard for five days in Sept. with a special elk permit so got some elk hunting in already.  Didn't try for a barely legal 3 point at 60 yards on opening morning that I would have killed by noon on day 2. 

pitw

Never put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.  Unless of course it's your execution. :laf:
I say what I think not think what I say.