• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Salmon slabs in color

Started by Okanagan, July 29, 2024, 10:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

Not quite a perfect job on these fillets.  The salmon below was slightly lighter in colour than the one above, but both tasted superb.  I like a long curved blade for cutting the slabs of meat from fish.  I use a long fillet knife for removing ribs and skin and can do the whole fish with a fillet knife if the long curved blade isn't handy.

The fish above was 11 pounds and the one below a little over 13.

FinsnFur

Interesting  :confused:
Whats causes that. Age? Size?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

I don't think you should eat that salmon. But if you pack it in dry ice and ship it overnight to me I will do my best to make it disappear. I was always just 'O.K.' with salmon until we were on a cruse in Alaska and got really fresh salmon at an outdoor site that cooked it over coals right where we were eating. Then my appetite for salmon changed, or at least when it wasn't store bought salmon.

I also would like to know what causes the difference in color.

nastygunz

"Why is some salmon redder than others?
The flesh of salmon in the wild can be vibrant red, pale pink, or even white. The red hues are the result of diets rich in shrimp, krill, and other species that contain high levels of astaxanthin. A wild-caught salmon with white flesh is genetically unable to process the astaxanthin, so their flesh remains pale."

nastygunz

I know exactly how that works because due to my genetics and food intake I am ice cream colored  :biggrin:

FinsnFur

When I google it the first sentence said that farm raised Salmon meat is naturally gray.
That doesn't even sound appetizing
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Okanagan

Interesing re that salmon eating shrimp makes the meat orange or reddish.

In British Columbia a game biologist told me that if a fresh water lake has freshwater shrimp in it (often called scuds) that the trout will have pink or red meat.  If the lake does not have shrimp in it, the meat will be white.

I know that one high lake about timberline had native rainbow trout in it with white meat for years.  Then the game department air dropped shrimp in it to give the trout more food.  The meat of the trout in that lake changed to red/orange and a bonus is that the size of the trout got considerably larger.  13 inch long was the biggest I ever saw caught from that lake till after the shrimp.  A couple of years after the trout started eating shrimp, I caught one over 18 inches and a friend caught one that must have been 20 inches.    :shrug: