• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

PTS after open heart surgery-I think I’m depressed

Started by Okanagan, September 24, 2024, 11:38:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

:shrug:

FWIW info for anyone on the road to open heart surgery:  There may a psychological down draft after the operation.

For the past several months I've felt less and less like doing anything.  I had open heart surgery to replace my aortic valve in March of this year.  Physically I have healed faster than projected.  But it is repulsive to me to do almost anything and I feel overwhelmed by the routine demands of living.

I've let old friends go without replying, ignored important invitations, let important stuff go undone, including taxes, banking, etc.  As to minor stuff; I haven't tightened the screws on scope rings to finish a mount I started five months ago.  I'm not sure what is up but a physical therapist who worked rehab with me said that up to a third of men who have major heart surgery go into similar depression.

I don't feel depressed- I just want the whole world to go away and leave me alone and feel that way at level so strong that it is controlling my life.  The therapist said it is Post Traumatic Stress.  Open heart surgery is a major trauma.  It feels like my mind is OK but my body has said, "WHOA!"

Till now, if I had to initiate, it would never happen.  If a grandchild invited me to go fishing etc. I would go-but not if I had to suggest it or do anything to make it happen.  Figuring out what is happening to me has helped and I have actually done a few needed things this past week.

bigben

Speaking from having depression try to finish little things that you have started.  The small victories help make you pull yourself out.  Mine was from medication for blood pressure that caused it.  Actually it was from assholes I was around telling me i changed and I was negative.  But I had changed from taking the meds and although I felt fine inside and still did things I got tired of people telling me what I was or how I was acting. 

"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.