• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Raccoons

Started by clousewt, September 14, 2007, 02:41:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clousewt

I was running my beagles this evening when I noticed some movement by the road. I couldnt believe my eyes. There were 5 raccoons moving down a ditch line. Needless to say I will be putting all of my traps in that area. I have a couple of plastic barrels that I thought about using for cubby sets. I figured a little bit of sardines and they should come running. I am going to set them tomorrow.

Todd Rahm

bowjunkie

my favorite set for a raccoon was tinfoil on the pan and set it by there travel route in just enough water to cover the pan an inch they can't resist pokin it cuz its shiny  :biggrin:

frshwtr

you mention plastic barrels, dont know what size or to be used with footholds or bodygrippers. just thought i'd mention the empty coffee cans
(39 oz size) make good sets with footholds. drill two holes near the bottom (sides if its laing with the open end on the ground) use a 3/8"rerod stake pinning the bait in the back on the container and pinning the container to the ground. just remember when pulling the trap to also pull the container (here, pa, you could be fined for littering; besides you can use it at another set and at the end of the season if storage is a problem just give them to the local recycleing group.

FinsnFur

Welcome to Fins and Fur frshwtr  :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Drifter

Best to make sure of your seaon on coon . I know here it doesn't open until Nov 5 th .  I would be very careful if seeting connibears as well . for a coon in an area you were running your dogs . If one gets into a connibear they will most likely be done . There have been a real rash of that going on out east and if you are set legal the newspapers still make you the evil one . All the ones in NY state were set legal and all the dogs caught were there illegal but now they are set to loose their connis on land thanks to the media coverage and their slant .

Drifter

Coon hunter

I like to use a honey bun as bait.
Quality Whole sale and customer Taxidermy

Coon hunting  Its a passion .

frshwtr

i know all about useing baits that dont attract unwanted animals; but consider this. i have a very spoiled dog living in my house and though i know i shouldnt i do share. if my dog was comeing along and smeeled a honey bun or any other human food she would just consider it a treat. also keep in mind you said these coon were in a roadside ditch; i see a lot of dogs traveling back roads, sometimes by thrieself or with their owner and a lot of times not on a lesh. i'm not against connibears (use them myself but usually connected in water, in pa we can only use them in a water course.when we could still use them on land a person couldset them inside a box or bucket fastening same to a tree (usually tied it on, no nails, fastening the trap to the bucket/box by tieing the springs up around the back. the bait was wired in the back of the container. oh yeah the container was secured about 6 inches off the ground and the trap recessed about 6 in. even if a dog was small enough to get his head under the container it couldnt turn  on its back to get in it. use foot hold traps "11 on a slide and at the back end (the way they are sliding to give them a hole or culvert to hide in and they will be out of sight for others walking on the road.

FinsnFur

A HoneyBun?!  :shck:

Good dawd...your apt to catch me in one of those traps. I love a HoneyBun  :biggrin:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Coon hunter

I only use them in live trapps.
Quality Whole sale and customer Taxidermy

Coon hunting  Its a passion .