• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Evening hunt

Started by DirtyDog, September 22, 2007, 01:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtyDog

I am getting ready to head out for an evening coyote hunt in an area up by the LBL. The guy I am going with has been begging me to come up there and hunt with him. He has never hunted them, but tells me he sees them about every other day. So, we will just have to see what comes out of it.

Then, as an added bonus, after dark, we will be getting his dogs out, and doing some coon hunting. I have never been coon hunting before, and am really pumped to try. I have really big expectations for the rest of my weekend (especially since I am giving up my archery opener to go coyote hunting  :biggrin: )

Wish me luck.  :wink:

studabaka

Well that sounds like it will be a blast regardless, but good luck and give us some pics.  :readthis:
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

DirtyDog

Quote from: studabaka on September 22, 2007, 01:44:44 PM
Well that sounds like it will be a blast regardless, but good luck and give us some pics.  :readthis:

I never leave home without the camera.  :biggrin:

Bills Custom Calls

Never been coon hunting  You are in for a treat    dogs on a hot track no better tune then that,and if the dogs get him on the ground the fight is on   I always enjoyed coon hunting  :biggrin: I think you will also
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

FinsnFur

Yeah, Your gonna have some that's for sure.
I lost my interest in coon hunting because my first few experiences were with a buddy that had uncontrollable dogs.

We usually listened to the dogs 6 counties away, and then when we tried to get to them they'd never come back. Set up till 3:00 am waiting for a dog to come back  :iroll:   I said forget this crap.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Arkyyoter

PIIIIICCCCSSSS!! I gotta see pics!!

Joe

KySongDog

Good luck, Dawg and DON'T FERGET THE PICS !!!!!

Semp

Bopeye

I wonder how Joe is liking coon hunting right about now......... :eyebrownod:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

Hawks Feather

I think it might depend on if the dogs are finding coon or just out looking around.  Swatting skeeters is not fun when you can't see them.

Jerry

DirtyDog

Well............

WHAT A TRIP. It was a 3 hour trip straight from work. Unfortunatley, and I got there a little later than I wanted to. We got all our gear together, and headed out. We only had time for one stand and had to make it count. I had never been there, so I started asking questions to get a good idea on where would be a good place to go and set up. We determined that a field that was surrounded by a few patches of woods and pasture near a creek would be the best set up. On the way in, we spotted some coyote tracks in the mud at the creek, so I was pumped. I got my freind and his son situated, and then got myself situated. Staerted off with some howls with the new Kees howler (my freinds son said it made the hairs on the back of his neck stand up when he heard it the first time  :biggrin:) After about 4 series, I spotted the farmer driving his truck through the field almost right to us. I went ahead and let him pass, but my heart sank. I made several more series but nothing. I have not been doing this long enough to know if the truck would have messed us up or not, but I felt like it did. That about ended the coyote hunt. I think my freinds son wants to go again.  :biggrin: So then, it was off to the main event.

All I can say about them dogs, was wow. They worked their tails off. The first coon they got on ended up in a downed tree that had been dozered over. The second one turned out to be a possum  :madd: . The third one went in to a hole instead of a tree, the fourth and fith one we could not find in the tree because of the leaves, the sixth one also got holed up. I was truly amazed at the dedication of the dogs to get that coon. They would try to jump up the tree (kinda funny actually), and try to dig out the ones that went into the holes. I couldn't get any good pics because of the flash not working well, but I promise I will get some next time. All in all boys..............I had fun.

FinsnFur

Your just kidding about no pics, right?  :sad:  :sick2:

Sounds like ya had fun despite being skunked. At least you got out there  :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Bills Custom Calls

I will say running a coon in a hole in the ground dosen't make it safe when I was hunting them I always helped the dogs dig them out.It is alot of work but once the dogs could get ahold of the coon it was a sight to see.

The leaves on the trees sure do make it hard to find a coon but if you have a red or amber lens for your light you can find the coon they will look at that a lot quicker then a white light

http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call