• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

? on howls

Started by browning204, September 23, 2007, 10:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

browning204

Weird probably dumb question on howls so please do easy on me.

So I was on my back deck at 11:30 pm and off in the distance I heard some howls. just a lone howl  3 or 4 times that sounded like a coyote.

Now is there anyway to tell a coyote from a companion dog howl. With so many types of domestic dogs and their vocal pitches, I wasn't sure what to make of it.

On my road, everyone has little poodle yappin things but there is another road through the woods but it sounded further than that away.

I am not to far out of the city, maybe 2 miles at most. and there are not to many big patches of woods to speak of.

thanks for any info.

UPDATE: I went back out and found my dog hunkered down inder my BBQ grill and the howls behind my house moved to in front. That means whatever it was moved a good distance very fast. It had to cross roads and get through neighborhoods in a hurry. Unless the ones behind my house triggered ones in front but then why would the ones behind just shut off?

or maybe I am just very crazy?

It is a hazy full moon and 53 degrees if that helps!
FOXPRO, THE TRUE LEADER IN IMITATION!!!

Obamerica      GOD HELP US!

THO Game Calls

Funny you should mention that Mike.   In the past month or two, I have heard howls late at night also.  There were far off in the distance, but sounded like coyotes to me.   

I keep waiting for one of the cats to be missing at breakfast.  Then we'll know.

The only other thing I would guess is that not too many people around here have hounds or large dogs that would howl like that.   Like you said, mostly the little ankle biters or pit bulls.

Were these coming from west of you, or south west?  Out between the Goffstown and Bedford area?   There is a lot of land out in New Boston, and I have hunted there a time or two.  I would think it is good coyote country there.   

Al
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

browning204

Al, read my update for more info, but as the crow flys, my back yard would look at maybe Budget gas area or Boynton street I think. Its maybe a mile away. as far as direction, I don't know, let me go find out.

ok, my back yard faces south east. so as I heard it, and you know my hearing, I heard it east of here and then it quickly moved North west. But it moved very quickly.

THO Game Calls

East of you might be the railroad tracks that run along the Merrimack on the east side of the river.   Moving north might mean that they are using the tracks as a travel area.   I have seen coyotes on Commercial St late at night, and that is right off the tracks on the river.   Remember that just north of town you have a lot of wooded land in Hooksett and it't only a couple miles away.

The ones I heard were coming from Goffstown and I think up near the Piscataquage river area.  Probably up by the flood control area.  Lots of forest land up there.

The biggest population of deer in the state is right here in WMU M and with the bow and small game seasons open, the deer are moving more at night, and i would bet the coyotes are hot on them right now.

Al
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

browning204

oh ya, I was tempted to take out the WT and howl back but that would surely get the cops down here!

browning204

ok here is a pic so you know where I am. The top right is the Big old St. Josephs cemetary. the road that runs under it and goes down to the left is Donald street. If you stay on Donald street it will bring you to the intersection of 293 and 114 and I think 101 toward milford

Greenside

QuoteNow is there anyway to tell a coyote from a companion dog howl. With so many types of domestic dogs and their vocal pitches, I wasn't sure what to make of it.

I don't know of any sure fire way. I know I've been fooled ON occasion. I think the more coyote howls you hear, it might make it obit easier. I know one thing that helps is to know where the farms are and knowing if the howling is coming from that direction it could easy be a yard dog. Some can actually howl fairly convincing on the lone type howls. Haven't heard to many that could serenade. :confused:

browning204

there are some hay farms to to far from here. But I would think they are to far to hear a coyote.