• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Just curious...How many callmakers

Started by Coulter, October 11, 2007, 08:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coulter

How many of you guys that make calls have them on store shelves or walls? I personally have mine in one store right now, and the owner asked me to bring them down. He pays cash up front just like he is buying inventory for his store. I was thinking about hitting a few more local type sporting goods stores to see if they would be interested,  but I'm not sure I want to yet. That just means more work and less play :shrug:  Does anybody else have any in any stores and what are the pros and cons in your opinion?

Steve

Brad H

Our gun store and our Ace Hardware store would set my calls up to sell here. I never have gotten into any details about prices because I never could get any calls made up to put on the shelves. I'd like to try it at some point, but lack of time is the only problem. The guy in charge of the sporting goods at Ace raves about the cedar open reed I made for him as an elk call. He's called in two nice bulls in two years with it and would love to sell similar calls there. It would be less return than selling directly I'd imagine, but if a guy could get the calls made up front it's a great way to get them to the hunters locally.

Brad

Hawks Feather

I have two gun shops that have asked me about putting in calls, but so far I haven't taken the time to actually sit down and discuss details.  I am not in this to get rich and am at a point in my life where I don't like pressure - like, I sold two of your calls tonight and need three calls tomorrow.  That is part of the reason I have been dragging my feet.

Jerry

Ladobe

Never had any store fronts ask to carry my calls, unless you count AP riding herd on me hard when he was first setting up APC.   Did have 4 outfits who already had and used one or more of my calls inquire with several followups though.   One was a large hunting service that guided hunts in the New England states and Canada.   Another was a corporation that had several branches guiding hunts in many countries in Africa.   A gentleman's hunting club in England/Scotland wanted to stock my fox calls (Talley Ho), and a guide in Wyoming who already used my calls for his guide service wanted to also have them in stock to sell to his clients.    Between them they wanted 350-400 calls for their initial orders.   Nada!   I had a hard enough time "failing" to fill requests  just off the bulletin boards working part time on them while I still had a day job.   And just like with all the calls I made for sale, there wouldn't have been enough money in it for my time and effort anyway.    I really enjoyed making calls to give away to hunting friends for many years - still would.  Couldn't say that about making them for sale again though.

So my suggestion is walk softly if you take the plunge in supplying custom calls for resale.   You just might be biting off more than you'll want to chew later.   

L.

USN 1967-1971

Thou shalt keep thy religious beliefs to thyself please.  Meus

keekee

I got a few local stores that carry my custom calls. Its a pain really. I don't make much off selling them that way, don't make much on them anyway. But they mark them up so they can make a few more dollars but they sell less of them. But they also carry the video's so, I try and keep them happy. Good packaging, inserts and clam shells raise the cost on my end as well.

I do sell allot of calls to others that put there name on them and package them there self. This is the way to go if you ask me. I also assemble and tune calls for different company's as well, I do OK on these as well.

Really depends on how much time you have to keep up with all of it. Staying on top of it can be a big job at certain times of the year.

Brent

Braz

I've got one sporting goods store in a small mountain town, about 1500 pop. that wanted some calls. I took him a box I got at the local craft store, which I modified with some slates, full of calls. I have since taken him nine more to refill the box. I orginally took it in July. I wouldn't want many more stores though. As has been said, it can take up too much time. Here is the box of calls I took him. The box cost $6, so that is cheaper than packaging, clamshells, etc. He has the calls on consignment. I get what I would over the net, less the cost for packing and shipping, so I am a happy camper.

Braz

nailbender

I have a few a my local gun shop because he kept asking.  No real market around here, but, what the hell if they sell I'll spend it there.      Heck, I'll spend it there anyway! :laf:

Coulter

Thanks for the thoughts guys. It does seem to be a pain in the butt to get calls ready for one store, especially when he orders so many at once. It kind of reminds me of selling my furs though...I bust my hump doing all of the work and then get rid of all of it for a nice lump of cash :biggrin: This store only places orders in the spring for turkeys and in the fall for deer and predator. I will likely just keep doing what I have been doing and if another store asks I will provide. I don't think I will be pursuing them at this point though. It kinda takes the fun out of it.

Nice display you provided there Alpenliter...I have resorted to clam shells as much as I hated to do it. :pout:

Steve

Braz

The advantage of clamshells is the calls are protected and less subject to theft. In my case, the box is kept in a glass case and can only be accessed from the back near the cash register. I like that since it is reasonably secure from theft. I do have a few friction calls there also, but those I placed in clamshells for securtiy. Also to keep the stricker with it, so it doen't wander off.
Braz