• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Which Diggy Camera?

Started by Todd Rahm, October 26, 2007, 02:19:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd Rahm

Ok fellers which camera do ya get? I have a fairly decent camera now but I can't take extrem close ups with it. I can't seem to get it to focus on stuff up close.  :doh2:

I need a nice one for taking close ups, and one that will take qucik back to back pics, like if I was taking pics of the boy running down a soccer field.

Any ideas?

FinsnFur

Taking pictures of a girl running down the soccer field is just another setting on your camera.
Kodak calls it "burst". Set the camera to burst and when you click you get three consecutive shots.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

I have a Sony, but the time between pictures is longer than I would like.  My kids and also some friends in Columbus have all recently purchased Olympus digital cameras and they are much quicker then my Sony.  These are all the point and shoot variety.  Now if money and size is no object, I would be looking at the SLR digital.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_digital.asp?s=price

Jerry

blacky

I like my Olympus very much. It has macro settings for up close and 3 sequential settings for taking moving pictures.
Complete line of turkey, locator, deer and squirrel calls.
www.genesturkeycalls.com

BigB

I have a 4 year old Olympus and new Panasonic.  I can't seem to find a link to the Olympus that I have.  Must be too old already.   :confused: 

Here's what I like about my Olympus:
Takes great crisp and clear shots.  And takes nice close ups as well with the macro setting.  It also has a remote control, so
Here's what I wish my Olympus would be better at:
   Time it takes to turn the thing on to when it will take a pic.  You turn it on, and will take sometimes up to 10 seconds before it will take a pic.  Kinda hard to capture those "Look at that!!  Hurry up and get a pic of it before it disappears" kind of shots.  It also takes about 2-3 seconds after a pic before it is ready to take another pic.  The display screen is also a bit small, but it is 4 years old as well.  The movie recording only allows for 10 seconds of video at a time.

I take a bunch of "Hurry up" type of photo's, so I was getting really mad when I was missing a bunch of opportunities.
Here is the Panasonic I have now:
http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/lumix/tz3_2/index.html

It has a 10x zoom, and will that baby take nice pics at far distances.  Makes me lazier because I can just sit in the lawn chair and zoom right on in as if I were about 5 feet away.  It is also pretty good at taking consecutive pics, or at least good enough for me and a bunch better than the Olympus that I have.  It also has a nice macro setting for those closeups.  The movie recording allows as long of a video & sound that you want as well.  It has a really nice and big LCD screen too. :eyebrow:
It is one of the best cameras that I have had my paws on.  The only thing that I wish it had, is a zoom in and out feature while the video is recording.  Other than that, it'll take around 2-300 pics on one disc without recharging the battery.

I've run Sony's as well, and they are good cameras too.  But the best one for rapid fire picture capabilities is the SLR.

JMO.

Brian

hand call user primarily, but if you gotta use an e-caller, there ain't nothing that sounds better than a Wildlife Tech

satch

Its funny you mentioned it, i just bought a new cannon s5is last Saturday and let me tell ya this thing will do it all.
It has a 12 power optical zoom and will go digital up to 36 power, you can set it for faster pics(if you can figure out how :madd:)
It is an 8 mega pixel and seems to be a good camera so far. Not your 1500.00 camera but a great buy at 400.00 i think.
satch

Todd Rahm

Thanks fellas. The zoom part is important and the closer the better for me.

Satch what kinda camera was that?

Jerry thats a smoke'n camera. I mightb have to look at it a bit.

bowjunkie

If cash isn't an issue a VERY close friend just bought an Oly I can't tell ya the model right now but it is an outstanding camera "he's still on his honeymoon " poor bastid"  :rolleye: anyway he forked out a sh*tload for it I'll let ya know when he gets home this monday what model

ps ya wanna see the pics it takes ..    http://eyeintheskyphotography.com/

Todd Rahm

Hey thanks for all the help and suggestions fellas....................... just picked this one up for the wife and if its not good enough I can always buy me a better one.  :innocentwhistle: This seems to be enough for her and alls I want is call pics from it.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0705/07050703canons5is.asp

Thanks again.

Hawks Feather

Todd,

I think you will have fun with that one and it should do everything you want, and then some more.  I would be more than happy to field test it for you.   :wink:

Jerry

Silencer

That looks like it has as much gadgets/settings as the Olympus we got.  GOOD LUCK  :biggrin:

Todd Rahm

Well theres been  stop to the order and more so cause I'm getting a shady feeling from the place it was ordered from  fotoconnection.com. I'll give more on my dealing later but after a search heres one of many similiar accounts I came across after searching.

http://www.resellerratings.com/forum/t123119.html

trappinjohn

I have a couple year old Canon S2 IS and love it.  Can't imagine what the S5 would be like.

Here's a few pictures I took with it.  I was about 5 or 6 feet from them when I took them.  Just set her on auto and snap away.

Hawks Feather

Looks like Joe has competition in the photo shop.  Nice pics.

Jerry

Todd Rahm

Ah man those are beautiful trapper.  :bowingsmilie: :bowingsmilie:

Yeah probably sticking with the camera, just a different seller.  :wink:

Todd Rahm

Ok fellers this where I ordered it from, and actually it was the $499 package. Pay close attention to the free shipping and 3 and 5 year warranty prices.

http://www.fotoconnection.com/p68551-canon-powershot-s5-is-80-megapixel-digital-camera-12x-optical.html

The wife placed the order for me last night, and she didn't want any of the warranties, because Cannon backs them for a year.

So the "Sam" fella, which all the guys there seem to have the same name,  :confused: called the wife today and asked if she wanted to up the warranty to the 5 year deal for $129. She at first said "no", but he then said "well I'll up grade all the lenses your getting to glass." She said but the description doesn't say they are plastic, and he says "It doesn't say they are glass either"  :iroll: The wife thinking it was a good deal and not wanting plastic lenses went with it. Then he says I'll also need to charge you $40 for insurance while its mailed also. The wife points out its free shipping, and he says "But the charge is for the insurance" I don't know why but she took the deal then called me at home.....

(The guy even went as a far as arguing with the wife that the camera was only covered for 60 days after purchase by Cannon)  :argh:

Todd rants at wife.....

...........She ended up giving me "Sam's" number off her cell phone and when I call. I tell him who I am and what my number is and that I want to cancel the order. "He says what ever man, its done" and the dude hangs up.  :shck:

Well I call back to the main number as for a manager, and I get  a female by the name of "Kelly". I explain my situation and what went down and she looks up my order. "Sir, he didn't charge ya $40 for insurance. He charged $169 for the 5 year warranty"  :sick2: Ya can see where this is going right? And she said "he upgraded the lenses to glass for free" My next question was what kinda lenses come with it? Sh said "Glass"  :shock2: :sick2: :mad3: Then she proceeds to try and talk me in to continuing my order. :madd: :nofgr: (Insert kiss my behind smiley)

So any way fellers watch out for this site and the other 12 names they go under as shown in the BBB report.

satch

Oh man i would be fuming! I would tell them how far up they should stick that thing :argh:
Sorry to hear about the bad dealings,  But i do know they are glass lenses :biggrin:
satch

Todd Rahm

Get this "Sam" calls back and lucky for him he got the wife, well maybe unlucky for him. Anyway he demads to know why the wife, canceled the order. Must have came in and seen his commision wasnt what he expected. Ya see in my previous post I canceled that order last Thursday myself, and yes I spoke with "Sam". At any rate the guy got in a sceaming match with the wife. She informed him that he had lied multipul times, and was being sneaky and coniving the way he was doing business. She then tells him we got a better deal from a reputable business, and pointed out the above metioned link that points out some common business dealings with his company and a few that name him inparticular. 

So the guy gets mad at the wife and says I'm charging ya 15% restocking fee. The wife said we canceled the order before it was filled, and he said it didn't matter I just sent it through while she was on the phone and laughed at her. The wife informed him that she would dispute it with the credit card companny and present the above link as evedence twoards a pattern of ripping the public off.  :biggrin:

Man this guys an arse.  :rolleye:

FinsnFur

That is funny as hell. Isn't it amazing how belligerent people can be when they are suppose to be in business?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

satch

I guess what i dont understand is how when your still talking a package deal the order is already a done deal :confused: how the helk can he
charge a restocking fee for something that (like you mentioned) has not been fullfield yet :madd: