• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Ducky looking predator calls

Started by BigB, November 08, 2007, 09:43:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigB

I've been wanting to try out the tennon and oring closed reed thing for a while. These two calls are my first attempt at the tennon and oring fit. They are for a couple of guys that took me duck hunting for my first time ever a few years back.  Normally, I would put the JC reed in the opposite direction, but I made an exception this time for these guys. :laf:  I didn't want to confuse them on which end to blow in, since all they know how to do is blow a duck call!!!   :doh2: :rolleye:   :rolleye: 

The brass bands are guaranteed to never come off, unless you cut them off with a saw.

I need to put a few more coats of wax on em, and they will be delivered to their new homes at Thanksgiving.

3" Mag for size reference

Let me know whatcha think.

Thanks,
Brian
hand call user primarily, but if you gotta use an e-caller, there ain't nothing that sounds better than a Wildlife Tech

HaMeR

I think you're onto a new hobby. Those are some nice lookin calls. Those fellas will be proud to hang em around their neck. :biggrin:  Nicely done!! :congrats: :congrats:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Todd Rahm

Brian,

I'm suprised to find out your coming over for turkey day dinner.    :biggrin: :innocentwhistle:

Both are very nice and nicely done!  :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

Brad H

I like'em Brian. Good to see you're back at it again.

Brad

frshwtr

very nice; if it was me getting the call i'd keep it handy in the house and show it to everybody that showed yp 'HEY LOOK WHAT A FRIEND OF MINE MADE FOR ME'. also see your a fan of hevy shot.

iahntr

Good lookin calls Brian.
Just curious, if ya wanna share, what ya do with your bands.
Scott
Scott

ninthinning

Those have to be some of the best looking predator calls I have seen.  They look perfect to me.  I prefer making a two piece JC reed call like a duck call.  That shape has been around forever because it it easy to hold and control back pressure and the beauty of the shape.  I have a 30 year old two piece predator call in my collection that  uses that same basic form.  I viewed a 35 year old matched set of predator calls that looked just like duck calls.  Your brass band really shines. Excellent workmanship, thanks for sharing.
9th

I notice the inserts are different diameters, why did you do that?
Their horses are swifter than leopards, fiercer than wolves at dusk - Habakkuk 1:8

Hawks Feather

Those are nice looking duck predator calls.  I have made a few that way and I really like them made like yours.

Jerry

BigB

Thanks guys for the comments.  My bigger mandrel is broken right now, so I have been playing around with my smaller mandrel.  These were made on my 1/2" mandrel. 

Scott,
I've got a couple new tools called the "Hays Original Brass Ringer."  Billy Hays developed a tool that crimps both sides of the brass band onto the call body, and the band is then virtually impossible to remove from the call.  I got one of the prototype tools when Billy was working the kinks out of the tool and have been tinkering around with the tool for a while now.  It is a pretty easy tool to handle, and it is a cinch to use.  I don't have to worry about any bands now coming off of a call ever again. 

Eric,
The call on the left was the first one that I made, and the insert was a bit large in diameter than I would have liked for a finished call, so I turned the next one a bit smaller.  That's the reason why they are different. 

Brian

hand call user primarily, but if you gotta use an e-caller, there ain't nothing that sounds better than a Wildlife Tech

kkbait

cb223

Very nice Ben. Those are sharp! You should think about selling them. I'd buy one.
CHAD

FinsnFur

I didnt even know you made calls  :doh2:
Very nice indeed. Ya definitely didn't skip any detail did ya.  :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com