• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Two Tone Bodark Closed Reed finished

Started by kevinm, November 29, 2007, 12:12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevinm

Here is a Bodark (orange osage) closed reed call that I finished a couple of nights ago.

Its finished with gun wax and oil.
Sound: JC Products loud double reed cottontail reed from THO

Thanks for checking it out

Kevin
R & M Hunting
Little Elm, Texas
R & M Hunting

Troy Walter

HaMeR

Nice shape to that call. I like turning osage. :congrats: :congrats:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Hawks Feather

Osage is a nice wood and your call looks good.  Side question - is this from an "old" piece of wood - like a fence post?  The reason I am asking is because of the darker markings on the side of the call.  Not that it hurts the call or anything like that.  In fact, I think it adds character.

Jerry

kevinm

Thanks Guy's !!

Quote from: Hawks Feather on November 29, 2007, 02:06:16 PM
Side question - is this from an "old" piece of wood - like a fence post?  The reason I am asking is because of the darker markings on the side of the call.  Not that it hurts the call or anything like that.  In fact, I think it adds character.

It is a fence post. We have miles of bodark - cedar mix fence lines. They are well over 80 yrs old in there fence post form. Every piece is a surprise when I cut it on the table saw. It is fun to turn though. 
R & M Hunting
Little Elm, Texas
R & M Hunting

Hawks Feather

Dang, sounded like I knew what I was talking about.    :shck:   That seldom happens.   Actually, I had gotten a couple of pieces a year or so back that were fence posts and they had similar markings.  The other thing about them is that they were HARD pieces of wood.

Jerry

kevinm

I usually have to sharpen my tools at least twice while turning bodark. It is very hard wood, but fun to work with.
R & M Hunting
Little Elm, Texas
R & M Hunting

Bob D

I like that call. Nice looking and well shaped .

cb223

That is some kick _ _ _ wood and great shape! I've always liked osage orange.

One of these days I'm gonna get some to turn.
CHAD

Arkyyoter

A very pretty piece of wood!! Osage is one of my favorites.....nice stuff!!

Bois D'Arc, Hedge, Osage Orange, Horse Apple....whatever ya wanna call it :)

Joe

Hawks Feather

Joe,

You must have been out hunting.  This is the longest time that you have waited to make a reply to a post with a call made from: Bois D'Arc, Hedge, Osage Orange, Horse Apple.   :sleep:    On to a slightly "serious" question.  Do you know how the Horse Apple name came to be associated with this wood's seed pods?  (I do know about the horse apples that are found in stables and the seed pods don't look like that to me.)  I did a search and found this http://www.arhomeandgarden.org/plantoftheweek/articles/Osage_Orange.htm  but there was no reference to how Horse Apple came about.  There is also a site that sells Osage horse apples for $32.00 per dozen.  I think I will quite making calls and go pick up Osage horse apples.

Jerry

Arkyyoter

Wonderful read Jerry...thanks!! No Sir, I do not know where the name
"Horse Apple" came from....that's all we ever heard it called as kids....cool tree though!!!

Joe

BigB

One of the old farmers wisetails used to say to put a hedge apple in every corner of your basement, and that will keep the bugs out of your house for a year.  But you have to grab a fallen apple off of the ground before it freezes from a frost, or it won't be any good.   :shrug:

Has anybody ever tried this, or heard of this????

Brian
hand call user primarily, but if you gotta use an e-caller, there ain't nothing that sounds better than a Wildlife Tech

HaMeR

I've heard that too but never tried it.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Hawks Feather

I have not done it for the past few years, but did for several years and it seemed to work.  The good thing about them is that they don't start to rot or smell.

Jerry