• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Any Mac users?

Started by browning204, December 06, 2007, 09:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

browning204

So my computer troubles continue. I am planning for my next computer. I really like the looks of the new Imac.

Not using them before but hearing they are pretty darn cool because of the software that comes with them.
From what I under stand, Apple software has only been broken or compramised twice where Pc or windows software seems like it gets cracked every five minutes.

Does anyone use a mac, if so how do you like it? How is it different from PC as far as surfing the web and all around usage?

Thanks
FOXPRO, THE TRUE LEADER IN IMITATION!!!

Obamerica      GOD HELP US!

Hawks Feather

Ah, the Mac saga begins.  I have a four year old iMac that I am currently using and would love to have a new "really fast" one.  I worked in schools and there were more educational programs for Mac than non-Mac platforms.  Twelve to fifteen years ago I went to a Microsoft workshop in Columbus and one of the Microsoft presenters was a former music teacher that used to teach here in town.  As part of the presentation they showed some highlights of the "new" OS program that was going to be released in a year to two.  I told Sonny after the presentation that the Macs at school already had all the "new" things that they were presenting.  He said he knew, but not to mention it.   :wink:

To me there are many positives about the Mac - the major one is that it is easy to use.  There have been some viruses, but none that I have gotten and even the ones that were out there were pretty limited in their ability.  Part of that is due to the number of Mac uses - if you want to cause damage do you want to hit a large number of computers or a smaller number?   The Mac comes with Safari as a built in web browser, but you can download Firefox, Camino, and a couple of others.  I use Safari and Firefox.  The iWeb program is extremely simple. iPhoto just got an update that has some excellent features, and then there is iDVD etc.  If you are thinking of getting really high tech in photo, movie, or music it is the way to go.  Heck, they are all simple to use.

The negative for Mac (used to be) was the lack of business software.  Now, with being able to run two platforms, you can run your PC business programs on the Mac.  BUT, there are not as many games or cheap programs for the Mac.  The number is growing, but some programmers only program for non-Mac machines.  Another negative is that the initial cost is more.  I don't know about non-Macs when it comes to software program updates, but most of the Mac updates (at least the ones that come from Apple) are free.  I just have my preferences set to check once a week for any updates and it lets me know if there are any.  The "new" operating system will be on the "new" computers, but I would need to pay to get it.  My computer is too old for the fee.  But, Apple continues to update the one that I have, so I am not left with an unsupported computer. 

I would suggest you go to an Apple store, if there is on in within driving distance and check it out.  You might like it, or you might decide it is not for you.

If you want more info or answers, PM me your phone number and I will call you.  Won't be tonight because I am heading to bed.

Jerry

browning204

I only really want it for web browsing, still pic editing and digital movie editing. I would like a mac and am willing to pay the cost so I don't have problems 6 months down the road as I have had with every PC I have ever owned.

Dell, Compact, E-machine and so on I have really beat on. I will Pm you my number.
and we can talk in more detail.

browning204

Thanks for the phone call Hawks. It was good to talk to you and I think you talked me into a Mac.

Now to just make it through Christmas before I can buy any more toys.

Hawks Feather

It was good talking with you too.I think you will be happy with it when you get it.  Make it through the Christmas season, say a little prayer for some mild weather, and you will be ready.

Jerry

Gary in CA

IMac, MacBook, MacBookPro.   My daughter and mother use Macs.   I can startup and close my laptop 5 times before a friend of mine with a new HP Vista can open his once.

Works great for most things - but most extra software is PC only.  I still use a PC for editing sounds, Guitar Pro, and a bunch of programming and Adobe apps I got on the cheap.

There are currently NO malwares for Macs.  That may change as they rise again in popularity.  I never use a PC online.

In a recent test by PC mag the fastest Vista machine was an IMac.

Choice is easy.  By the best you can afford.  Ignore processor speeds but get 2G of RAM.

browning204

Thanks, I really don't need extra software and stuff. As I said, I want it for web, still pics, digi video and for a computer to just darn work right!!

And plus, they are just plain cool looking!!!

Gary in CA

Almost all Mac applications have a 30 day free trial.  PC vendors never offer that.  Your video editor or sound editor may be expensive.

Macs are never discounted.

The mac I'm using right now has gotten slow a few times when I let it run for several days with multiple programs open - but it hasn't crashed in the two years I've used it.

It comes with camera, mic, speakers, other stuff built in.  And it pics up other people's wireless internet everywhere I go.

browning204

Quote from: Gary in CA on December 10, 2007, 07:54:15 PM
.  And it pics up other people's wireless internet everywhere I go.

SWEET!