• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Which commercial calls? Custom calls?

Started by Frogman, December 16, 2007, 01:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frogman

When you guys go out which 4 or 5 commercial mouth calls do you hang on your lanyard?

Which four custom calls?
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

vvarmitr

The only commerial call I carry is an AP6 by Sceery all the rest are made by the call makers on here.
I carry a Cronk howler, a Springbok horn howler by Bearmanric, an antler howler by Brad Holzer, an open reed twister by Dogwood Creek plus a closed reed. A couple closed reeds by Hawks Feather, bccont, & Birthdefect Calls.
I don't like to carry all my calls w/ me so I just take these few.

Jrbhunter

I carry Primos Regulators, Dan Thomspon Red Desert Howler, a coaxer made by MattS and a soft-toned distress call made by Pilgrim.  That pretty much covers the spectrum I'm after- although I own a couple dozen other calls that will call predators... it's just not worth hauling them around.

possumal

Sceery AP7 original open reed, Zepp's Rattler, Cronk Killer Call, and the KO Black Coyote Howler.  I keep a Sceery special coaxer taped to my rifle foreend. The Cronk Killer Call is excellent as a second howler as well as a great distress call.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Frogman

THO Game Calls

The Primos Still Cottontail and Still Jackrabbit are good calls.  I carry the Still Cottontail.  (closed reed)

I'm partial to Joe Bradshaw's Cat Killer, which I would consider a commercial call.  (open reed)

The Red River Bandit I think it is called is also a good one that I have in my kit.  (open reed)

A basic CritRCall is a standard and one or two are always in my bag.  (open reed)

I also have a JS open reed that I carry. 

Custom Calls that I carry are:

Howler by BradH.  It is not only a stuningly beautiful call, it sounds fantastic and works very well.

THe rest of the custom calls I carry are my own, either ones I am testing or ones that had a flaw in them that I wont sell.  My call bag weighs about 20 pounds  :)   I often take one of the calls that I have recieved from call makers here also.   But most of them are put away. 

Al
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

centerfire_223

I carry five calls with me.

1. Kee's custom latex howler
2. Arky Yoter crack pipe
3. Kee's black bird
4. Reese Minnie Meanie
5. Arky Yoter Screaming Demon
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

Jimmie in Ky

My comercial calls are a Johnny Stewart pc3 and a lohman dual tone.

For my customs, A Cronk Killer call and a killer jr, and a pair of my own calls. Jiimmie

FinsnFur

Those wouldnt uhhhhh  :innocentwhistle: by some small chance  :innocentwhistle: be some of those crotch specials, would they Jimmie  :sneer:  :innocentwhistle:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

keekee

For production calls I carry a AP-6 and a Critter call standard or PeeWee. For a howler I carry my own and a Reese Black dog to change things up or my Brad H howler. And for my customs I carry a Black Bird Distress, A Kee's Destroyer, and a Kee's Original series.  I also swap out, different calls from all kinds of Custom call makers, I keep some were around 20 plus calls in the call bag and could have any one of them at different times.

Brent

Frogman

I just ordered a Reese black horned howler from your web site, is that the one you are referring to?

keekee

Yes sir! And it should be there anytime!

Brent

Jimmie in Ky

Nope, the two I am packing right now are straight grained pieces. One is mulberry and the other spalted red maple. I am thinking on doing some experiments with the double reeds though. Wondering how much I can alter the rasp and squeal they have. Jimmie

Kuipdog

I am partial to the verminator calls, I really like the psycho tweety! For customs I carry  red desert howler and I carry dan thompsons pc1 and pc3. I also carry a few I make.

Frogman

Brent,
        Your video and the Cow horn howler I ordered from you came today.  The video is great and the howler sounds good too.  I posted about them in more detail on the Reviews page.   Thanks for the prompt service.  I hope to get out soon and try the howler and the things I learned from your "Hunting the East" video.

Jim

Frogman

I just picked up the PC-1 and AP-6 today at Sportsman's Warehouse in Pittsburgh.  Thanks for the recommendations.