• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Shotgun kill range?

Started by browning204, January 21, 2008, 06:36:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

browning204

Going to do some night hunting tomorrow night and it will be a rimfire or shotgun only territory.  My options are 12 gauge with a full choke and buckshot or the .17 HMR.

Here is my question. As I never hunted night coyotes in NH but going off of what I see during the day it will be hard to call those coyotes in close for a shotgun blast. What is the effective range for a good clean kill?

But I would rather not use the HMR if I don't have to.

any tips?
FOXPRO, THE TRUE LEADER IN IMITATION!!!

Obamerica      GOD HELP US!

canine

It all depends on what shells your shooting..?

JD

frshwtr

get a 4 ft square piece of cardoard (actuall more than one) measure about 40 yds make an aiming point and see if the pattern is good enough to make a kill; keep backing up 5 yds each time until you patteren is to loose to make a kill. then go to the spot before that and you should know how far your gun and shells will be effective. there is no cut and dried answer; you have to check for yourself. also keep in mind just changeing the make of shells can also change your effective range.

browning204

Quote from: canine on January 21, 2008, 06:40:20 PM
It all depends on what shells your shooting..?

JD

Federal power shok 12 gauge 2 3/4 magnum #4 buckshot.  34 pellets. 

full choke.
FOXPRO, THE TRUE LEADER IN IMITATION!!!

Obamerica      GOD HELP US!

canine

Browning, I learned that full chokes and #4 buck don't jive together to well. Like frshwtr said, you otta check out how your gun patterns them first. My gun had better results with a modified choke and #4 buck. That's not sayin though that your gun and choke combo won't jive!

#4 buck, I wouldn't shoot past 55 yards myself. That would be a wide open shot too, nothing between me and the coyote.

Theres more to just makin sure your gun will pattern well. Knockdown power should be looked at also.

JD

vvarmitr

Ballisticly speaking you're not going to want to shoot #4buck past 55yds.  Oh sure you could get lucky & hit one at 70yds w/ a pellet to the head, but that again would be pure luck.

THO Game Calls

Unless you are using this shotgun.    Check out the 12 gauge gernade shells.   I REALLY want one of these for hunting the thick stuff.

AL
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

wv_yoter

WOW, That's one helluva shotgun THO  :yoyo:
Jason

Bopeye

THAT WAS AWESOME!!!

I WANT TWO............ :eyebrownod:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

KySongDog

ME LIKES!!   :yoyo:

I GOT to get one of those!

Semp

THO Game Calls

Hey Semp.

Picture a fire team with 4 of those LOL.   Get in a wedge formation and have at it!

Imagine the command to fire the FPF  hehehe.   

Al
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

HaMeR

:wo:  Border Patrol Wepons??  :shrug:

:eyebrow:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

THO Game Calls

I like the way you think Hamer  :)