• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

One coyote with pics

Started by Brad H, January 18, 2008, 05:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad H

I've been getting lazy with the camera this season. But I got a few shots this time.

We finally got some snow and cold. I mean real cold. 5 below with a 13 mph wind. The first two stands ended at 15 minutes, I couldn't take any more than that the way the wind was blowing. Third stand was a little longer but not as good an area.

Fourth stand I made in one of my favorite draws. I've probably shot 5 coyotes out of it in the last few years.

As I looked down the 100 yard wide, half mile long draw (or wash, whatever), the wind was left to right. I had a small tree line right behind me and the caller was 30 yards to my left where the tree line began. This draw is just a series of washes that drain into Cedar Creek with Junipers and Cedars on either side. I've noticed these coyotes sometimes like to stay low and run up the bottoms of these things till they're as close to the sound as they can get, then they tear up the hill and suddenly you've got a situation you need to deal with RIGHT NOW.

This one did just that, only he was aiming at the down wind...me.  He showed up right at 9 minutes, 80 yards out, coming at a dead run with snow flying up behind him. He dropped into a small perpendicular wash at 40 yards which gave me time to adjust. He stopped at the top of the other side with his head and neck visible to me. An easy neck shot at 40 yards.

It's funny to hear the Swift in these sub zero weathers. It sounded like a BB gun. :laf:

My point of view. He's laying just about where the tip of the barrel is.

I grabbed the camera right away and here's where he landed.

The last thing he saw with the exception of my tracks. The caller is on the far right where the trees start.

My cuby which I actually had to clear snow out of (not used to that), and the coyote. He's a nice pale bellied male with no mange. There's a lot of mange here this year but I've been lucky.

studabaka

Sweet  :bowingsmilie: One is one more than I have ever dropped. Nice shootin  :yoyo:
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

HaMeR

Cool writeup!! Nice lookin hide on that puppy too!! :congrats: :congrats:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

onecoyote

Hey Brad, I thought you had some pictures of me? I'm in better shape then that onecoyote lol.......Good going

Brad H

Dang Stu, you need to dump one over soon.

That's pretty funny Danny. That's the first thing that came to my mind when I wrote that too.

Brad

wv_yoter

Jason

gity

Brad...Checked it out, good looking coyote!  Looks COOOLLLDD! LOL   Keep after' em  Steve

azfester

brad where are you located? that country looks nice

keekee

canine

It's bout time you started postin some pictures!!

Good deal Brad!

JD

Brad H

Thanks guys.

I thought this might explain the pics Steve.

I did use the ecaller. I prefer nothing but my howler this time of year, but I forgot how hard this cold weather is on the lungs. I forgot to say that I started with howls then switched to pup distress which is the sound that's really been getting it done lately.

azfester,
I'm in eastern Montana. It's all country and not much else. Great looking stands are everywhere, the only problem is there isn't a coyote around every corner. They're here but you've got to cover lots of ground to get'em.

Brad

Smith

Guess I should have went with you :doh2:.  I am free now :eyebrownod:.

Lucas
Right thing easy, wrong thing hard...