• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Scouting question

Started by msmith, January 26, 2008, 06:33:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msmith

I got a tip from some deer hunters and landowners of where they have been seeing coyotes. When going in to scout, would it be worth  while to to a couple of cold stands? I know the area, ie. lay of the land, fields, logging roads etc. and even possible bedding areas. What could it hurt? Loss of an an hour or so?

Thanks,

Mike
Mike

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI

coyotehunter_1

Hey, Mike... Welcome to FnF.

You pretty well know the area already... I'd say go for it. 

Good luck ! :biggrin:
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

keekee

If you know they lay of the land sure! Just read the sign you have there as you go!

And Welcome to FNF!

Brent

DirtyDog

I agree go for it. Just think of all the places that they might like to hang out. Food, water, and cover.

THO Game Calls

I think that the very best chance you have of calling an animal in, is the very first time you call an area. 

That said, if you conduct your scouthing like you were still hunting, taking care to be very quiet, play the wind, and stay in the shadows and move slowly, when you find a good spot, set up and call it.

But if the wind shifts, or you make a lot of noise or in any other way alert them that you are there, find a spot to call from and do it another day.
The last think I would want to do is to let them associate my presence with calling.

If you do call the area, I would sit longer than normal the first time out, and if you come up empty, be just a cautious leaving as you were coming, even more so because you may have called one in that you didn't see. 

Good luck, it sounds like you have a hot spot to check out and call. 

Al

Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

Jimmie in Ky

What time of day are they seeing these animals is my first question. That tells me a lot about my chances right off. Daylight to around 8 in th morning tells me they are a ways from a bedding area and this is on the backside of the travel route going home. Afternoon travel means they are close to the core area they use as does late morning travel.

If early morning pattern I would go in and scout for the better call sites.

Late morning and afternoon travel patterns I would go in and cold call as I looked around. Jimmie

msmith

Thanks! I missed a lot of you guys over the last year or two but am glad I found you. You have a lot of great info and I hope I can pick your brains.  :bowingsmilie:

In response to Jimmie's quesions: in one area, I'm not sure. It is at my dentist's farm. I was over there yesterday to ask for permission again this year and talk about the whens and wheres. The other area, my cousins and ucles kicked them out, while busting brush deer hunting, of a very thick bowl surrounded by fields in the middle of the day.

The last, my mother has seen them crossing the bottom fields into this area midday. I went in the other eve to hunt/scout and kind of think I got busted. I had the e caller upwind about 50 yards on a ridge covered w/pines and blowdowns. So thick you could't whip a cat but navigatable because of the deer trails. I was downwind watching a couple of flats and the edge of the pines as well as a little draw coming up into the pines on the ridge. About 10 miniutes into the stand, the chckadees or pewees (I don't know my birds) started flushing like crazy between me and the calller and about 40 to 50 yds away crosswind. This was just inside the edge of the pines and it was THICK. I rolled my eys that direction but never did see anything. I bugged out the way I came without scouting. This incident is what prompted my original question. I hope to be able to go back in in mid Feb with a 180 degree wind from what I had (which is the normal prevailing) and enter from another direction.

Thanks again,

Mike
Mike

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI

Jimmie in Ky

You have your answers. Now get a look at airial photos and familiarize yourself withthe better call sites. You already know most of this ground it sounds like , so take a look from above at it and see if you can figure out where they are going. It may also show you a better option for the ones you have already found when you called it, something was obviously out there. Adiferent position and sound should work. Jimmie

Frogman

Hey msmith,
       Good to see you posting here.  These guys have been very helpful to me.  If you need someone to help you hunt those new dogs, don't forget I'm not far away.

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

msmith

Thanks everyone. I sure do appreciate the info. I am thankful that y'all are so willing to share your knowledge. It sure helps the learning curve out. It's been almost a year since I have had a succussful hunt. That is one that I actually anchored a dog. I guess any hunt that you learn something is a successful hunt.

Jim, No problem. I think it would be a good idea to share experiences and techniques as well as company.

Mike
Mike

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI