• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

last chance cats.

Started by bigben, January 27, 2008, 12:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

well dad and I headed up to quehanna this weekend for the last chance that he was going to have for a cat this season.  left around lunchtime on friday and decided to lay some steel where we had seen the most sign.  we got 5 sets in the ground and then drove around lookin for more sign.  dark came and decided to head back to the hotel to get to bed early and hit it hard the next morning. 
We got up and checked the sets the next morning and did not see any sign of critters moving and nothing in the sets.  It snowed about 6"s up there between friday night and this morning and it was snowing off and on all day long on saturday.  we made a few stands throughout the day and decided to get lunch a cat nap and then head out again.  drove a few roads hoping to see some fresher sign then where we were plannin on heading that night.  it was around 4:30 and we decided to head back past where we made the 5 traps.  set the caller and the decoy up and started calling.  about 25 minutes into the series I hammered out some rabbit distress on the new bourbon back stabber and then turned on the foxpro again on a low volume.  about 2 minutes later there it was a opening about 10 feet wide where I saw the bob bounce his way to where he could see the decoy.  as soon as he could see the decoy he stopped.  we waited and tryed getting him to come closer.  I had told dad in the truck if we seen something that it was up to him to take the shot when he felt he was ready.  About that time I hear the 12 ga go bang and he dissapeared out of sight.  well at this time it was pretty dark and the pine stand he ran into was even darker then I wanted to walk into without a light looking for a cat with fists of razors and pissed off attitude.  dad ran back to the truck and grabbed the camara and the light and we started tracking.  you could see where he did a little floppin around and the fresh 5 or so inchs of powder made it easy to find.  the cat a female ran around 20-25 yds and this was how we found him.

after some high fives and some congrats back and forth we headed out to the truck.  got back and took some pics and headed back to the hotel.  the next morning we went back to pull the traps and I wanted to see where this cat came from.  this cat came from some laurel but it crossed what I thought was a open area for a cat to cross.  everytime it got to a ten ft or so wide snow swath with no cover he ran across it.  then straight back to walking.  he did not sit down until he could see the decoy.  here are some more pics.  so far I have had a great season.  killed my first coyote.  called in two cats this season and did better on fox this season then the past seasons.  I want to thank my father for the opportunity to help him get this cat.  I also think this is the first cat that was called with the backstabber.  thanks curtis.  I learned alot on how to call these critters this year and I only hope I get a tag next year so I can kill my first bobcat.

here is my father.

here is me for those who do not know what I look like

"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

Jeb

Congrats Ben !!! Looks like you two make a great team !  :congrats: :congrats:
                          Jeb

keekee

Thats awesome! Congrads on the cat and the good times with your dad!

Brent

FinsnFur

Nice looking cat :yoyo:
Nice write up too boot. Looks like you guys had fun. I bet your as glad to be a part of your dad's first cat as he is with the cat himself  :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

iahntr

As I get a little older one thing I regret some, is the fact that I didn't take enough pictures in the past, and still don't take as many as I should. You can have the animal mounted, which is nice, but a good picture really captures the moment. That bottom pic is one that should be at least an 8x10, framed, and displayed proudly. Special time ! Congratulations.
Scott

Troy Walter

Padogkiller

Nice Job Calling and gettin one into range! Excellant story as well!

KySongDog

Nice story and pics!  I told ya there would be another cat on another day.   :biggrin:

Semp

Silencer

Great News !!!  Congrats Ben and his Dad !!

Quoteheaded up to quehanna
Up here its another world compared to the rest of PA  :eyebrownod:

bigben

you dang skippy the one spot me and critterbuster hunted last year looked like we were out west.  quehanna is defienatly a different type of country.  I have been up there for all seasons this year and I think I am tired of snow.  I have had enough I believe. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

bigben

and the last pic of me and dad I am probably going to do what was said before. 

HaMeR

Congratulations!!  :congrats: :congrats: Taking it down to the wire makes it that much more rewarding doesn't it!! Thats a very nice cat & I am glad you got your cat!  :congrats: :congrats:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

trappinjohn

:congrats: :congrats:

Couldn't have happened to couple nicer guys.  I agree, that bottom pics needs framed.

Great job Ben.

Nelson

bigben,
Your Dad sure looks proud as he should be!!
Congratulations to both of you!!   :yoyo: :yoyo:

Nelson

DirtyDog

Congrats Ben......it's like they always say, you never forget your first.  :biggrin: