• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

few more I'm messin with

Started by iahntr, February 02, 2008, 04:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iahntr

Keep in mind these are not finished, and are at various stages of completion, mainly just sealed, and 1 coat of oil on them. The maple burl calls band is epoxied on, the others are just setting on them.
The first one is a howler, from one of the horns that Brad Holzer graciously sent me quite some time ago, Thanks again Brad, it's just a "workin" howler that I'm keepin, it has a Carver tone board on it, cocobolo tenon fit, and a little different keeper style that I messed with, with the top of one of my .204 brass set into the hole, and a satin finish.

This one's a maple burl

Tulip wood with brass band in first pic, stainless band in 2nd pic

Osage orange, first pic brass band, 2nd stainless band, third pic with another "chunk" sittin with it for comparison, ya like it better with, or without the burn lines?

Pictures aren't best quality, no tent or anything, just curious, lookin for some feedback, what bands ya think look better? burn lines? let me know what ya think.
Thanks, Scott
Scott

Purgatory_Predator_Calls

I dig the howler, and the lanyard attachment is awesome. 

Nicely done, I might need one of them someday.

Joey
When you feel like you can't take another step, ALWAYS take one more!

Bygog!

www.purgatorypredatorcalls.com
CPCMCA www.custompredatorcallassociation.com

frshwtr

to me the brass loks better on what you have shown (really liked the tulip wood), could be that with a darker wood the stainless would be better, keep in mind i said could be, i guess i'm partial to the brass no matter what.as far as the burn marks they look good. by the way to you brand the calls with intials or anything?

Troy Walter

Very nice Scott,Both bands look good.I prefer it without the burnt line but who am I.I like the howler,the primer idea is slick.

Todd Rahm

Hey Scott look'n good. I like the howler a lot, especially the way ya lanyarded it up. That's sweet.  :congrats:

All the calls look good, and its just matter of eye appeal for, but I think the ones where the end of the mouth piece tapers up to the end look more balanced then the first burl call. Like I said nothing wrong with the burl at all, by any means, just me expressing my own eye appeal.

Can't really see it in the pictures but I would have to say the burnt accent rings are perfect. Nicely done, and also balanced on the call (Not that this matters with burnt accent rings, but I liked it.  :biggrin: )

Rings have always been a stickler for me when buying calls, just because the blemished easy. The placements are great. I lean more towards the silver or satin bands, or heck even the THO decorative rings, for more my own preferences, and most of that again plays on the brass showing finger prints, scratches, dull looking etc.......easier, but do pick up brass banded calls here and there especially if they are sealed and polished. Heck I still have to pull a few off the shelf every once in a while to re-polish them.  I wouldn't put yours in any of these groups as ya said they are in different stages of finish still.

Would I buy any of them to hunt with? Ya bet ya, all of them. Would I buy them for the collection and the shelf? Yipper probably would for sure after seeing the final product, and probably that howler for sure if it was refined past "work'n" howler status.  :biggrin:

Nice job Scott, and hope I didn't offend ya at all.

Todd

Edited for spelling  :doh2:

FinsnFur

Very nice work!!
I love that wooden accent on the howler, and that little grommet looking piece for the lanyard is utterly professional. :yoyo: :yoyo:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

Nice lookin calls. All of them. The howler is cool. I like the wood & the lanyard idea a lot!! That maple burl is sweet!! You're really makin magic  now & I look forward to the finished projects plus more stuff from you!!  :congrats: :congrats:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

iahntr

Thanks a lot Joey, Troy, Jim, and Glen, :biggrin: for the comments, I appreciate them. I was lookin for somethin a little different to attach the howler, I think it turned out perty cool too, Thanks.
frshwtr, Thanks, and I do initial, and date, (with year) the calls.
Thanks Todd for all the input. I agree about the banded calls, I think ( it's kinda obvious by the number of calls I put out that have bands on them.  :biggrin:) they have eye appeal, and look nice, but for using them they do diddly for function, and need polishing from time to time. I believe I've seen where some of the duck call makers "seal" or put finish over the brass bands to keep them from tarnishing. I'm not sure, if they do, what exactly they use, and how it holds up under use. I would think it could scratch, chip, peel, etc. easier off of the brass.  :shrug: 
Don't worry you're not gonna offend me, the only time I get offended is if I think somebody is intentionally being a jerk, or talking down to somebody, or just plain saying "that sucks" without saying why they think so, or,,,,, OK, the only time(s) I get offended  :laf: :laf:
Thanks again guys, I always appreciate open and honest feedback. If I ever post a call that ya might be interested in buyin, but don't like one part of it, or would like something changed on it, feel free to get in touch with me. I wouldn't mind makin up somethin with your "touch" or design.  :thumb2:
Thanks again guys, Scott
Scott

frshwtr

dont know what the duck call makers put on their calls either but be do your research. the only brass i ever cleaned was in the army. a new belt buckle (brass) had a coating of what i think was laquar (cant spell) and for the buckle to really shine you had to get that off; wasnt an easy project, brasso and elbow grease. after useing brasso the brass would get dull again in less than a month.

Brad H

Scott,
I like the stainless a little better on the Tulip, but both rank well with me on the Osage. You did a fine job on that horn. And kudos on that lanyard brass in the horn. That is just plain COOL. An attractive yet subtle touch. If you get into making more horn howlers, you've got an idea there that's worth sticking with and a good one you can claim as your own.

Brad

Braz

Good looking calls. As can be seen by the comments, there is not right or wrong on selecting the metal rings. Just put what ever you think looks best. Some wiill like it and some won't. I personally like the burn rings, especially on the Osage. It just goes with the colors of the wood so well. And you did a nice job getting them on in just the right spots. I also like the shape of your calls. Over all, very nice work.  :congrats:
Braz

iahntr

Thanks a lot Brad for the comments, I appreciate it, coming from one of the howler Kings  :eyebrow: and thanks again for sendin me the horns in the first place!  :bowingsmilie:
--  I still use the howler I got from you too, and I love it ! I just have a little problem usin it "everyday" I don't want the sucker gettin all banged up!  :biggrin: It's kinda like gettin dressed up on special occasions. :laf:

Thanks Braz, I appreciate the input    :thumb2:
Scott