• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

NH Turkey

Started by nastygunz, May 11, 2008, 04:45:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alscalls

A box call bird? You gotta love that! Good job, not everyone can run a box call and kill one...... :yoyo: :yoyo: :eyebrownod: :highclap: :congrats: :congrats:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

coyote101

Congratulations nastygunz!  :congrats: :congrats:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

HaMeR

Congrats on the bird!! You done good!!  :biggrin:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

nastygunz

Thanks guys! I use a variety of calls but in the last 5 years have become a real fan of the box call...the one in the pic has become my favorite, I call her "Stradivarius" haha...I had 5 birds come in and were about 15-20 feet from me, had to wait about 3 minutes to have one step clear and I flattened him with the mossberg 835 with 3 1/2 inch #5 Fioccis. The bird in this pic is a 21 1/2 pound tom I got in VT, got him gobbling with a crow call and walked him in with a , get ready for this FnF.....the Heavy Metal slate, dumped him around 20 yards with the same set up as above. The last pic is a natural blind I sat in to get the NH bird, just a big broken pine branch.

KySongDog

Congrats!   :congrats:  Nice bird!

I've used a Lynch Fool Proof box call for 20+ years.  Love it.

Semp

nastygunz

thanks semp, my best buddy since we were kids in VT, who i hunt with every year uses a lynch foolproof box call hes had even before there was a turkey season in VT! he is also the guy who got me using the heavy metal slate and we used them well this spring. I really like the box call, you can make about any noise with it and can really crank up the volume if needed.

nastygunz

1 day after noon passed i swapped my turkey load for some buckshot, blasted a few wails on my Circe rabbit squealer trying to lure a coyote in and had this fella come sniffin round.

nastygunz

I saw this bird numerous times where I was hunting but always after noon time, or right across the road on posted property where the guy wont let anyone hunt, I had him gobblin a few times but he had a herd of hens with him n wasnt walkin after anymore. I saw him twice right in the little field I was hunting but in the afternoon:

FinsnFur

The one you downed looks like a real plumper, wow :yoyo: Nice job indeed.
Ya shoulda entered it in our Turkey Contest :wink:

Nice pictures, thanks for bringing em in. I dont care for bear walking around my coyote stands...you have all them  :laf:

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

alscalls

WOW Nice pics!! Congrats on the turkey and the pics I dont know if I could have grabbed the camera on the bear or not :whew: :yoyo: :yoyo: :highclap: :congrats: :congrats:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Silencer

Congrats on the beautiful tom and thanks for sharing some amazing photos  :congrats: :highclap:

nastygunz

Thanks guys......i do alot of camera hunting in the off season, gives me an excuse to get out in the field and also do year round scouting...I love hunting in my native state of VT, going up there is like going back in time 50 years, people stop to let other people cross the road, wave when they drive bye, if you break down you can guarantee someone will stop to help, lots of open land to hunt, big woods, native brook trout and gobblin birds, it aint perfect but its close  :biggrin:

nastygunz

speaking of bears,when i was a kid we used to hunt coon hard with red bones, black n tans, walkers and leopard curs, well the dogs treed one night, my youngest brother climbed up the tree which was a big thick pine, he said he turned his light on looking for the coon, said he looked around and right beside his face he saw this huge hairy black paw with big claws sticking out of it, standing on a branch......he bailed the hell out of the tree half falling n crawling and hit the ground and the leopard curs pounced on him and got a few death grips on him till they knew who he was thats part of family history haha, he screamed BEAR and we leashed the dogs and left haha, he had some good bruises and scratches on him from that escapade. We had one cur named old sam who would climb a tree if it had thick branches and would girdle a tree by ripping the bark right off it, he was 1 ferocious hunting dog. If he got up a tree someone would have to go climb the tree and kick him out and the ground forces would have to risk attack and try and leash him haha. Needless to say he was one dog who got respect on ALL levels!

cb223

Congrats on the bird!!! Nice pics. Looks like the tom you couldn't get ahold of is a nice one.

Not sure what I would do if I called in a bear.
CHAD

nastygunz

hi CB, i have to say growin up in the woods fishing n hunting all my life, every bear i have ever seen in the woods instantly ran like lightning when they know your there........thats cuz they get hunted, however the "urban" bears are a whole different breed, they get acclimated to people and have no fear, MUCH more dangerous. I had 1 trying to get in the garbage bin once and when I yelled at him trying to scare him off he puffed up his fur and chomped his teeth at me, and thems fighting words in bear language!....I fixed his wagon though, I gave him a barrage of paint balls from the porch that put him to flight haha. My sister has a video of a bear that crawled into the sunroof of their car and foraged around then climbed back out. And strong?...the same bear took their bear proof garbage can with the screw on lid, sat down, hooked his front feet claws under the rim and pulled the lid off like it was made of paper. Spring in NH, pull in your bird feeders or they will be mangled and mauled by a bear, almost a guarantee.