• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Cleaning Rifle Barrels

Started by Carolina Coyote, May 05, 2008, 03:59:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carolina Coyote

I was wondering if any of you have ever tried using Cotton Balls for cleaning patches? While cleaning one of my rifles the other day I realized I was out of patches for that caliber, I had a box of Cotton Balls that I had been using to clean my Lab (Puddin) ears with and decided to try one of them, They worked very well and for different calibers its easy to take a little off the Cotton Ball for sizing. Can't think of any reason that they might harm the Barrel. I have tried every patch on the market I think, from Sincliar, MidSouth, Midway, Cabela's, Kmart, Walmart but I think the Cotton Balls work better than anything I have ever used, Anyone else trid them? cc

Frogman

Never thought of that cc.  Sounds like a good idea.

You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

FinsnFur

I use a bore snake and man I love it.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

KySongDog

Carolina Coyote

I have Bore Snakes that I use also when out in the field or at the range but before putting the gun up I like to use a good solvent to remove copper buildup and runthe patches thru till clean. cc

vvarmitr

Cotton balls? :wo:

They would sure hold a crap-pot load of solvent.  ;yes;

A CB wrapped around a brush would surely do the trick. :wo:  You might be on to something. :biggrin:

Cool CC! They say necessity is the mother of invention. Of course in my case I've always found necessity to a Mother!  :huh:

FOsteology

I no longer use a brush. I use patches with solvent until it comes out clean, then hit it with some wipe out and let it sit for a few hours and then clean it out Far less work!

Nelson

I agree with FOsteology.  That "Wipe Out"  has  really cut down on the cleaning time.

Nelson

Hawks Feather

I actually got out to the range yesterday and will be doing a little (probably long   :innocentwhistle: ) post  on barrel cleaning.  I shot most of the pictures yesterday and now just need to start the info.

Jerry

Carolina Coyote

I have not tried the Cotton balls on a brush, only on a jag and the Cotton forms around the jag perfectly and eliminates having to buy patches for every size caliber, just separate off the Cotton ball the amount for each caliber, may take a couple of runs to determine amount for each caliber. For me they work great and would like to get feedback ( negative or positive )  from other shooters to see what they think. Thanks cc

vvarmitr

I use something similar to cotton balls that isn't as absorbent. Something an ol' benchrest shooter told about. OOOO steel wool! :shck:   Wrap a tad around a bronze brush, add J-B Bore Paste & give 'er 12 full strokes  (1 stroke = back & forth once)
Then use your whizz-bang solovent of your choice till ya get clean patches.
I know, I know it'll ruin my barrels.  :iroll:   All I got to say to you naysayers is my guns never shot as good till I did this.  Turned an ol' 222 into a real tack driver!  :wink:

Carolina Coyote

VV, I have one gun I will try that on for sure, Thanks for the tip cc