• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Spun my first call

Started by Tjones, June 04, 2008, 03:17:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjones

Here are some pics of my first call, fire away with comments you won't hurt my feelers, :yoyo: The blank came from the burn box of a local custom bow maker. I am sure you can see there are a few flaws in the finish, I just couldn't get it right and a dang crack showed up near the toneboard. Can'[t wait to try and call something in with it

A tracker who hopes to read all the track offers must be astute during discovery and reasonable during interpretation.  Gerry Blair

Bills Custom Calls

For your first one I think you done one heck of a job

Looks like you are off to a very good start

I am not gonna pick it apart you said a few flaws can be seen so you already know where you need to improve

Thanks for sharing
Bill
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

frshwtr

if i were to make a call and my first one came out like this i'd be more than happy. by the way i'd keep my eye on that burn box, real nice looking wood.

Tjones

Ohhh I will be checking the burn box weekly, I got a nice piece of osage, a goboon ebony, lots of cocobolo, one piece of bocote,,,oh and a piece of snakewood, that I have heard enough bad stuff about I will save it for a later time
A tracker who hopes to read all the track offers must be astute during discovery and reasonable during interpretation.  Gerry Blair

nailbender

First try? :shck:  Can't wait to see when you get the hang of it! :congrats:

HaMeR

Thats a right fine looking call for shore creasy!!  :yoyo: The shape really lends itself to getting a good grip on it.  :wink:

I'm curious about your finish & the crack tho. I'm wondering if you used the dip method. If so did you clean out the hole for the reed before you set it? If not there may have been just enough finish in there to create enough pressure to crack the call. It looks like you have plenty of wood there tho. Just trying to help.  :biggrin:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Tjones

I noticed the crack while the call was still on the lathe. I had turned the top to the size I wanted and when I got looking it over there was the crack. :argh: My thinking was it may have been an end check in the blank, I don't know how long the block of wood was laying around with no wax on it before I got my grubby paws on it. I was then careful putting the tone board in knowing the crack was there, I dremelled the finish out of the hole and made sure I did't have to force it,,,I didn't check the blank over very good before I started turning it,,,,,which was a dumb mistake

thanks for all the kind words

bootmud

Very nice looking first call.  Heck the first one I turned looked like a some kind of crazy chess piece.

Good job.  Can't wait to see what else you turn. :highclap:

bootmud
www.huntafp.org
www.kettlecreekcalls.com

LORDDAL

thats a really nice looking first call I sure hope when I get set up my first one turns out as nice as yours
there's something you better understand about me, 'cause it's important and one day your life may depend on it. I am definitely a madman with a box!

Proud member of Bills Custom Calls Pro Staff

Yotehntr

1st one? WOW! can't wait to see more.
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

FinsnFur

Yea, for a first I think you done purdy good. :wink:

What kind of tone board is that?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Tjones

The tone board is a Reese Ice Dog, the tone board makes the call sound great,,raspy jacks to high pitch cottons, if'n ya really get on it

I have a loooong ways to go to get even close to most custom call makes but I got nothing but time,,,who knows how far it will all go,,,,,heck I may be having a tool sale by fall :laf:

Brad H

Wow, you did  a fine job for your first!!

Brad

HaMeR

Thats cool. I'm glad you know what caused it then.  :wink:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11