• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Spalted maple

Started by ohioyotehntr, July 07, 2008, 09:41:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohioyotehntr

I got this one finished last night. This stuff is a pain. It's 3" long and has a flared bore.
Thanks for looking

Dusty "Dirt" Ford
Dirt's Custom Calls

YoteCoaxer

ohioyotehntr,

"This stuff is a pain" - You did a nice job! What did you have the most trouble with?

I turned some Spalted Tamarind that was TERRIBLE! It was soft and cracked easily...I completely trashed one call when I tried to turn the barrel.
Mike

ohioyotehntr

This blank had a bif spot of "punky"wood. Its just like a sponge. If you try to sand it on the lathe, it just comes out in chunks. I used alot of superglue to harden and fill it so I could work it. I'm not touching anymore of the blank without soaking it in wood hardener. I've got somemore cool spalted stock.
Dusty "Dirt" Ford
Dirt's Custom Calls

YoteCoaxer

Wood hardener? That is a good idea! I was going to pitch the piece of Spalt stock I had left in the trash and just chock it up to lessons learned, but I will have to try some wood hardener on it and see what happens.
Mike

Hawks Feather

The wood hardener will help, but it still doesn't make it really hard.  If I were planning to turn much Spalted wood, I would find a place and have it resin impregnated.  Much nicer that way.

Jerry