• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Hunter Orange

Started by weedwalker, October 06, 2008, 11:13:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weedwalker

I was looking at my Ky Hunting Guide, and most weekends from now till the end of December, hunters are required to wear hunter orange because of some type of deer firearms season being open.  How many of you hunt coyotes while wearing orange, and do you think it makes a big difference?

KySongDog

I don't know the answer to your question, Weed, but I have been told one can kill coyotes sitting on a ladder in a Santa Clause suit.    :shrug:

Sitting still is probably more important than camoflage I think.  Most critters key in on movement.

Okanagan

Orange wouldn't be my first choice but if that's the law you gotta do it.  I don't think it will make much difference if you set up well and use natural cover like a bush to hide.  Ditto to sitting still being the big factor.  I have a fleece vest of hunter orange with the black camo pattern and I wouldn't hesitate to call coyotes while wearing it, don't think it would make much difference at all.  I've called them in jeans and a white t-shirt, etc. on impromptu stands, though like most here, prefer to use some camo, especially a head net and gloves.  Go for it.

FinsnFur

hell, Frog does it in his undies, what's the diff?  :roflmao:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Frogman

Yeah Jim,
     But you really have to be "special" to do that!!! :innocentwhistle:

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

coyotehunter_1

Ed,
Around here a good number of coyotes are seen (and killed) every year by orange clad deer hunters. During our big game hunts I won't go in the field without my orange. :wink:

Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

pitw

In my opinion camo is very over rated.  I've called plenty of coyotes wearing my orange [safety factor]. Like other's have said sit still and break up your outline.  Most critter's are color blind to start with so the camo building companies are a lot like fishing lure companies in that they make their products look good for the buyer not the quary.
I say what I think not think what I say.

KySongDog

Quote from: pitw on October 06, 2008, 09:38:10 PM
Most critter's are color blind to start with ...........

Like most birds, turkeys can see colors.

pitw

Sorry about that as we don't have turkeys up here I was refering to deer and coyotes.
I say what I think not think what I say.

weedwalker

Quote from: FinsnFur on October 06, 2008, 07:55:39 PM
hell, Frog does it in his undies, what's the diff?  :roflmao:

Jim, we have to use the solid orange. We can't use anything with stripes or spots. :roflmao:

FinsnFur

spots :laugh2:

There's a lot of places out west that require orange for predator too. Thank god we only have to use it, if we are hunting during the 9 day gun/deer
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

MI VHNTR

Hunter Orange is required for hunting predators in Michigan. IMHO, I have no idea why it is required. 
The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting.
It's about Freedom.

Let's Go Brandon.  FJB

THO Game Calls

They make you wear hunter orange:

so that guys with scoped rifles have something to look at from 400 yards away.

so that other hunters can find you easier to ask if you've seen anything

and so the guys running meth labs out in the woods can keep an eye on you easier.

Rumour has it that Homeland Security is thinking about introducing federal legislation that will require all hunters to wear hunter orange to reduce the number of reported suspected terrorist sightings during October and November by liberals and little old ladies out looking at leaves.

We dont have to wear it.  I don't, unless I am moving from one stand to the next during our 40 day long fire arms season.   (29 days rifle 11 Muzzleloader)

If I am hunting deer out of a tree stand, I always take a vest and tie it around the tree as high up as I can get it.  Then I sit down.   When they "scope" me out, I have a good chance that they are pointing above my and I can always duck or jump if it comes to it.

AL
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results