• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

New Year's day hunt

Started by Frogman, January 02, 2009, 08:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frogman

Alscalls and Frogman got out on New Year's day for an afternoon/evening hunt.  We tried the woods behind Frogman's house for a couple of late afternoon stands.

Our first stand was here on a small finger point.  Wind was from the Right or South.  The Scorpion is hung from a tree about 50 yards down the point nearly in the center of this photo.  Frogman was watching this direction.  Al was behind me about 25 yards watching the downwind North side of the finger.

We used low volume distress sounds from the Scorpion including cottontail and jackrabbit.  I saw some deer comming down the hill across the holler from me so I turned on the fawn distress for a little bit.  The deer came in behind me and Al got a good look at them.  He said there were seven.  After half an hour we decided to move across the holler and do a stand on the other hillside. 

Above is what I was looking at.  Wind is from the Left, the e-call was hung in a tree down the hill and to the right of this photo about 75 yards.  Al set up to the right about 50 yards above the e-caller watching the downwind direction.  We started this stand with some loud distress sounds for a few minutes then tried raccoon distress and finished with some howls.  No success again. 

Here is Al at the end of the stand.  He was set up near the downed trees you can see behind him.

After a long climb back up the hill to my house, we loaded up and went to another farm for a night stand.  We set up in a long field against some round bales.  Did some low volume distress sounds as it was getting dark.  Increased the volume as it got completely dark.  We finished the stand with some howls.  When Al and I got ready to leave we heard a coyote challenge from behind the bales to our back.  They were at least 100 yards away.  Sounded like there were two of them.  Our responses brought them no closer. 

We didn't get any fur down, but it sure beat staying at the house, sitting in the recliner, and watching bowl games!!!  It was a beautiful afternoon.

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

alscalls

That was fun Jim!.............The wind really tore me up today though but I was still out there :eyebrownod:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

KySongDog

Yotehntr

:yoyo: Enjoyed reading about your hunt Frogman! Great pics too.
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

Frogman

Hey,
    We might be having trouble killing coyotes, but we can take pictures!!

JIm
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

FinsnFur

Yeah that's a lot closer to a kill then I got today. Looks like some fairly decent country your callin in. Where's all the snow?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com