• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

First Day Buck

Started by HuntnCarve, December 05, 2008, 02:44:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HuntnCarve

Sometimes everything falls into place.. It wasn't a normal buck season for me.  I arrived at camp the evening before the season started after dropping my daughter off at college.  I decided to hunt an old spot that had been good to my son and I throughout the years.. So I hastily set up a stand as darkness, and a snowfall fell that evening.
On the Monday morning opener at 7:30 AM I caught some movement way down the hill in the thick stuff.  I saw it was a legal buck (3pts on a side), as it was slowly moving across the hill in and out of sight.  When he reappeared in the scope I found I was looking at another smaller buck?  Holding off on the shot, I found yet another smaller buck in the scope?  Seems there were three buck traveling together.  Meantime I start searching for the bigger one of the bunch.  He was standing back a ways watching the other two move down the hill.  Finally he slowly starts following.  I remember a single opening about 150 yards away that the smaller bucks had passed through.  It would be my only shot...So the waiting game begins...I had time to crank the scope up to 10X and locked it on the opening.  Suddenly he hit the opening and quartered slightly downhill.  I had the crosshairs on the ribcage, allowing for the angle.  Touching off the .300 Win Mag I come out of the recoil in time to see a white belly, and four legs slowly pumping the air.  As I watched he slid about 5 yards down the hill in snow coming to a stop against a small tree.  My PA buck season was was completed with a fat 8 point!
I dressed him out and dragged him across the hill about 120 yards.  Good fortune once again smiled upon me as one of our camp members was just coming down the pipeline on his ATV.  Hitching the buck to the back of the quad, he hauled the both of us up to the top of the hill and my awaiting truck.  Another season in the books.

FinsnFur

"A white belly, and four legs slowly pumping the air" :yoyo: :biggrin:

That was actually fun to read Dave

Congrats by the way, nice deer. :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

coyote101

Nice.  :yoyo: Congratulations on a successful hunt.  :congrats:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

alscalls

Love the story ........Congrats Dave  :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

pitw

Nice story and congrat's on a nice one shot buck. :yoyo:
I say what I think not think what I say.

iahntr

Congratulations Dave.    :congrats:
Scott

Frogman

You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

Todd Rahm

Alll right Dave!!!!!!   :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

vvarmitr

WTG Dave! :congrats:
Don't you just love it when a plan comes together.  :biggrin:

Hawks Feather

Dave,

Nice looking buck.  So how many freezers do you need to store 6 deer?

Jerry

HuntnCarve

Thanks for the comments guys. 
Jerry, I have the chest freezer not quite 1/4 full.  Still have a few more tags to fill in the next month or so..  My son will be home in a few weeks.  So the freezer will take a hit those weeks. LOL!  He's got a couple tags, so maybe he can contribute to the larder? LOL!

Dave

SCcoyotehunter

Great Buck, Good luck in the weeks to come..

FOsteology