• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Elk / Deer Rifle Suggestions

Started by JoshT, December 14, 2008, 11:22:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoshT

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and a green horn to big game hunting. I am looking for a good all around rifle for elk and deer. I was thinking a 30-06, just because the ammo seems to be cheaper, and the generic research I have done on the ammo shows over 3000 ft*lbs of energy with a 180 grain, which should do the job on elk. My buddy swears a 270 is enough for elk, but I think it would be a little light. The questions I have, if I use 150 grain (or the smallest available round) on smaller deer out of a 30-06 would that be to much? I don't want to ruin a bunch a meat because my rifle is shooting heavy. I am heading over to Gander Mnt today to take a look at he Savage stainless series.

JoshT
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed;..." Thomas Jefferson letter to Justice John Cartwright

weedwalker

The 30-06 is a great all around deer/elk round. I would do the same, use 150 grain for deer and 180 grain for elk. Ammo is available just about anywhere for them too so that's not a problem.

JoshT

Weekwalker,

Thanks for your feedback. Do you see any issue with not having a clip? The rifle I am considering has the release door on the bottom, but no clip.

JoshT
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed;..." Thomas Jefferson letter to Justice John Cartwright

Tikaani

I believe the 270, 30-06 and 308 are great rounds, any of these would be fine for elk/deer.  Some will disagree, just my opinion.  

John
Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

weedwalker

I don't see a problem with it. My bolt action 30-06 has a plate on the bottom. I've taken several deer with it and it does a good job. One shot is all you need anyway most of the time.
Quote from: JoshT on December 14, 2008, 11:36:20 AM
Weekwalker,

Thanks for your feedback. Do you see any issue with not having a clip? The rifle I am considering has the release door on the bottom, but no clip.

JoshT

JoshT

Tikaani,

I feel a little rushed into this decision, since I am going down to Texas for a deer hunt the first wekend in January. I hear the deer down there are small (near San Antonio). I live in Colorado, so I want to make sure the rile I purchase will do the job for years to come. I was considering a 308 too.

JoshT

JoshT

weedwalker,

I was thinking that a clip is not necessary. It's probably better that I don't have one, since I always seem to forget at least one thing on every hunting trip!

JoshT

weedwalker

There's some pretty big deer in Texas. My personal choice would be the 06.

Tikaani

I have always thought that with all the choices out there, in the end, after you do all the homework, you choose what is right and comfortable to you, not someone else.  When I bought my 22-250 for wolves some thought it light, yet I know a load of guys who use 223s.  I have killed caribou with it, not the perfered round of course.  In the end I choose it because it was the round and rifle I wanted.

John
Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

pitw

I'd say it's all in how you intend to hunt.  I/we hunt for meat so can pass up on shot's we're not sure of.  My daughter use's a 25-06 for her hunting and has shot 3 elk, 2 moose and 4 deer.  All were one shot kill's that fell where they were shot except one deer that made it 50 yd's.  I have taken 2 elk with that gun as well and use a 243 for deer and moose [head shot's under 100 yd's].  
Barry
I say what I think not think what I say.

FOsteology

My advice.... keep it simple. 30-06 bolt action rifle (no clip) loaded up with 180gr. Partition will cover all the bases. No need to use a load for deer and one for elk.

coyote101

I don't own a 30-06, but if, (heaven forbid) I could only own one rifle, it would be a bolt action in .30-06 or .308. I don''t see how you could go wrong with either of those. Unless of course you go where big critters might eat you. Then I'd want a BIG gun!

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

KySongDog

I've deer hunted with a 30-06 for many years.    I always use a 180 grain PSP from Remington.   Stay with one bullet and you won't have to worry about re-zeroing the gun.  The 30-06 will take any game in North America.   Just my opinion.

weedwalker

Here's a compairison between the Remington 30-06 150 grain PSP and the 180 grain PSP from the Remington Ballistic Charts.

Long-Range Trajectory

Cartridge Type                       Bullet        100   150   200   250   300   400   500

Remington® Express®            150          1.8    1.6   zero  -3.2   -8.2  -24.4 -50.9

Remington® Express®            180          2.1    1.8   zero  -3.5   -8.8  -25.5  -52.0

This is why I use the 150 gr with a lighter recoil for deer and would use the 180 gr with a very noticeable heavier recoil for elk. No scope adjustments are neccesary.

JoshT

Barry,

My hat's off to you and daughter. That is a really great resume of harvests! Although I was an expert rifleman in the service, I think I will avoid taking head shots with smaller caliber rifles for a while, until I get a few under my belt. I appreciate the range of advice, but you sir, are in a different class! That's really remarkable.

JoshT

JoshT

Weedwalker,

What do you sight in with, the 150 gr?

JoshT

pitw

Quote from: JoshT on December 15, 2008, 12:28:30 AM
Barry,

My hat's off to you and daughter. That is a really great resume of harvests! Although I was an expert rifleman in the service, I think I will avoid taking head shots with smaller caliber rifles for a while, until I get a few under my belt. I appreciate the range of advice, but you sir, are in a different class! That's really remarkable.

JoshT

Kind word's sir but not entirely warranted.  I live where there is more game than most and the fact that we don't hunt horn's make's it fairly easy to wait for a really good shot.   I try and teach myself and children patience with this practice but our oldest boy [19] doesn't subscribe to it and uses a 270.  These gun's do not have the knock down power for longer range chest shot's in my opinion so we don't make them.  All of my shooter's have to build and sight in their own bullet's as well.
Barry
I say what I think not think what I say.

weedwalker

Quote from: JoshT on December 15, 2008, 12:31:02 AM
Weedwalker,

What do you sight in with, the 150 gr?

JoshT

Yes, I use the 150 gr most of the time. It does a great job on deer.

M.DarianBarr

i have a rem 700 in 30-06 and love it for deer havnt got a chance at elk yet but thats what i would use. i shoot winchester 150gr power points and never had any problems. i meat hunt also so i try to stay away from a shoulder shot. most of the time i shoot them in the base of the neck, it anchors them in their tracks. ive taken deer from 10 feet to 320yds my best shot on  a deer.ive taken deer with 45acp,243,308, 25-06, &30-06 my opion the last three anchored deer the best. my favorite is the 30-06 for all around. i didnt own the 308 that long but i think it was pretty versatile also.