Do you have a link or pics?

It's that time of the year, I need a couple new turkey calls.  :biggrin:
CHAD

LORDDAL

Quote from: cb223 on February 13, 2009, 08:39:00 PM
Never heard of him.

Do you have a link or pics?

It's that time of the year, I need a couple new turkey calls.  :biggrin:
got to agree never heard of him but one can never have to many calls ya know  :biggrin:
there's something you better understand about me, 'cause it's important and one day your life may depend on it. I am definitely a madman with a box!

Proud member of Bills Custom Calls Pro Staff

nastygunz

OH LORDY, HES A TURKEY CALL LEGEND:
----------------------------------------------------------
Amazingly they now sell em at Cabelas:

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0018933223402a.shtml
-----------------------------------------------------------
Heres a really good site on Tom Gaskins himself and his museum and turkey calls. It shows how to make the call step by step with simple hand tools also and pictures. He was a fascinating guy really. If you buy a call through Cabelas you will get the paperwork with his sons address to buy the osceolas turkey dvd and books also.

http://kozmicdreams.com/tomgaskins.htm
-----------------------------------------------------------
It really is a different kind of call but works slicker then turkey sheet on a pump handle.... :biggrin:....you can use the scratcher on the lip of the box like using a bow on a violin and make all kinds of different clucks and purrs and yelps...its featherlight...the scratcher and the chalk store inside the call....good looking and smelling cedar....IT WILL BE THE BEST $20.00 YOU EVER SPEND  :yoyo:
------------------------------------------------------------

cb223

CHAD

nastygunz

If you get one Id be interested in your opinion of it.

LORDDAL

that is a rather interesting lookin call may just have to see bout gettin one of them ir better yet get the wife to buy me one for my Valentines and anniversary present
there's something you better understand about me, 'cause it's important and one day your life may depend on it. I am definitely a madman with a box!

Proud member of Bills Custom Calls Pro Staff

nastygunz

They are greatt....makes me wonder why there are no pot calls with a wood surface....they are all slate/glass/aluminum....im betting wood on wood with chalk would work pretty slick?........I have never seen any hunters up here who use a scratch box type call...the lip of the call and the freedom of the scratcher make it so you can do a lot of different sounds on a scratch box and they dont get much simpler.

alscalls

I have made wood on wood friction calls before they work well but ya can not get real loud with them......
one way to do it is to make a box about 1" tall x 3" Wide x 6" long .......Make it a closed box 6 sides !!!!
Then you router one of the big sides like your gonna cut a rectangular hole in it.......Leaving one end attached. In other words cut one 2" line 1/8" wide inside the edge of the end of the box......then cut from that line up both sides about 5" Making a 3 sided rectangle.
Leaves almost a diving board ( Wood is 1/8" thick)
Make a striker of a denser wood like ya wood for a slate call and rough sand the box lid.......Old school turkey call...try it. :wink:

Here is what it would look like.....

AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

KySongDog

That's an interesting call design, Al.   I don't think I've ever seen one quite like that.   :congrats:

Do you chalk the 'diving board' ?   :wo:

alscalls

Depends on the wood Semp I have done Oak box and cherry striker before and just roughed the box with 50 grit No Chalk........Worked great!
Then I would try and repeat it with the same woods.......nothing :shrug: I would have to work my but off to even get a sound.
I learned how to do this from Bill Hoover in WV. Through Eastern outdoors TV
The only place I know to buy one right now is a little store here called Todds...
Todd's Sporting Goods
(304) 489-9420
Bill uses wood like butternut and mulberry and sells them to Todd and has many unique calls he makes......most of which will fit in your shirt pocket.
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

nastygunz

I likes the unique calls......and always keep an eye out for them.......I started out with pot calls...then went to mainly mouth calls....nowadays I use box calls and scratchers mainly...big fan of the wingbone yelper also.....but I still carry all into the field...Ive seen birds ignore a box call but come running into an aluminum pot call...so I think it pays to be varied. There was an old time sporting store here that closed about a year ago...the guy made these little calls looked like a dnged clothes pin....made the best purrs and clucks...was spring loaded somehow...wish I would have grabbed one.