• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Saturday evening hunt

Started by nor-cal yote, March 10, 2009, 09:53:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nor-cal yote

Last Saturday a coworker and myself went coyote hunting, its been raining for about 10-12 days straight. We finally got some good weather. My friend Steve is from Michigan and has never shot a coyote. We packed everything up for two days of coyote hunting and headed out. I took him to a place where I have done pretty well this year. On the first set up about 45 seconds after I started calling, I caught movement, about 70 yds. out a bobcat was coming in. About then I noticed Steve raising his rifle I tried to warn him, but he didn't hear me. Season is closed on bobcats. The cat had moved, Steve pulled his eyes away from the scope, when he looked at me I told him not to shoot, as season is closed. He was grinning from ear to ear, never seen one that close. Sorry no pictures of the cat. :shrug:
     On the second set up probably 150 yards away, around a corner of really thick brush, started calling again, within 90 seconds a coyote came running in, at about 40 yds. I gave him a bark, he stopped looked at me, Steve shot and missed, he followed up with a shot at about 55-60 yards. running away straight out, he was quartering away from where I was sitting.

We were facing down hill with the sun over our right shoulders, wind was coming uphill in our faces.
It was a nice little male about 25 lbs.

I think Alscals will recognise the call I was using, he's right the call looks better with fur under it.

Heres a picture of Steve with his first coyote.
never yell whoa in a horse race

wvhillbillyhowler

good job guys that  alscalls looks good on that dog told them call a yote al  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :yoyo: :yoyo: nice pic

alscalls

I love it when that happens........ :yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo:
WTG guys !!  :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: Keep up the good work.
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

FinsnFur

And he loved it!.....Nice Job. :highclap:

Where was ya's hunting, California?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

msmith

Mike

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI

Hidehunter

Denver                                           

Frogman

WTG!!

Alscalls are quite effective!!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

vvarmitr

Quote from: nor-cal yote on March 10, 2009, 09:53:44 PM
Sorry no pictures of the cat. :shrug:

:shck:  :madd: Don't let that happen again!  :nofgr:
:laf:

I think that's awesome how you have your calling down to the seconds.
:laf:

All kidding aside you did a super job getting that feller a coyote!  :congrats:

LBLDOG

those calls look awesome Al  and I bet the young man is hooked now being his first. I think its like anything else when you get something for the first time ,coyote ,deer, turkey, well..... you know ...... your hooked ! :roflmao:

Carolina Coyote

Good job guys, the look on Steve's face is worth a thousand words, some great looking country to hunt.  :yoyo: cc

SCcoyotehunter

Nice looking place, way to go!

nor-cal yote

Jim, yes this was in California, about 6 miles north of stonyford. The place was covered in brush we (the forest service)cut a ton of it out and dozed about 120 acres, for quail habitat, I will try to get some more pitchers of the area and show the amount of the brush there. We did some more set ups the next morning only to call in a couple of grey Foxes, but season is closed on them.
never yell whoa in a horse race