• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Hard To work with this stuff!!!!!

Started by alscalls, March 12, 2009, 05:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alscalls

Spalted curly Maple........been storing it for about 10 years........

:eyebrow:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

wvhillbillyhowler

that will make some nice looking calls al  :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

duckslayer

can you explain to me what makes some woods "are the work with"  When you say that what do you mean?  And what are some of those woods that newbies like me should stay away from for a while.
" And have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the fowl of the heavens, and all animals that move upon the earth." Gen 1:28
" He was a mighty hunter before the Lord.  Therefore it is said, even as NIMROD the mighty hunter before the Lord." Gen 10:

FinsnFur

Hey now I really like the looks of that. What'ya got in mind for it?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

msmith

Mike

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI

duckslayer

SORRY!!! in my post I was trying to say, san you explain to me what you mean by " HARD TO WORK WITH ", what exactly does that mean and what are some of those woods.
" And have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the fowl of the heavens, and all animals that move upon the earth." Gen 1:28
" He was a mighty hunter before the Lord.  Therefore it is said, even as NIMROD the mighty hunter before the Lord." Gen 10:

alscalls

What I mean is......I use a draw knife and spoke shave and try to make an old school type of box call this wood has grain running in all directions so the knife kept ripping out chunks instead of a clean cut shaving. :argh:
So I took to the saws and plainer with it with a better result yet it still wanted to rip chunks from it....
I used my sander on some of it and my sander burnt up so I will go to the store tomorrow looking for a new one and back to work......

Jim,
I am hopefully making MSmiths box call from it ......if there is any left when I get done chewing on it......Then I am gonna make some coyote calls to as I have more, and this will be easier to fight on the lathe. :eyebrow:
AL

msmith

Hey Duck, I'm not sure you should stay away from trying anything. If you have an urge, go for it. Ya never know! I've heard some say Leopard wood is tough to work with, but I like it and don't have a problem with it. The Brazillian cherry I have is hard hard hard. Others may do well with it. As far as woods that are definitely hard to work with, I don't have enough experience to tell ya, but don't hesitate to try 'em. You can't get it figgered out till you make a few tooth picks and the way you're turnin' calls, I think you'll have satisfactory results. JMO.

Sorry to hijack yer thread Al. That spalted maple is some gooood looking wood.
Mike

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI

msmith

QuoteI am hopefully making MSmiths box call from it

:biggrin:  :dance: You're OK Al!
Mike

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI

alscalls

I aint trying to discourage anyone ........the looks of the wood is worth the effort for sure, I am just nervous that I am gonna ruin it. I cut this tree down many years ago myself and have been waiting to use it...... :fingerx: If it works I hope to make me one out of it :biggrin:
AL

FinsnFur

How big is it?
In the picture it doesn't look any bigger then a 1/4" thick paddle slab.
Or maybe it is and you plan on gluing it up.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

iahntr

Looks real nice Al, hope it works out for ya !!

duckslayer, a lot of the spalted wood is pretty soft and wants to kind of come off in "chunks", so it makes
it hard to get the exact shapes ya want, whether it be carving or on a lathe, and also makes it hard to get
it smooth for a good finish. Don't be afraid to try all different types of wood. I would recommend buying it
by the single piece, or real small quantities until you're familiar with it. I made that mistake once early on,
and ordered quit a few pieces from someone, and I could only use a few of the pieces, and the other ones
were no good unless a guy wanted to send them in to get stabilized.

- I will add too, this has been talked about before, but take extra precaution with spalted wood as the black
lines in the wood are basically a fungus, and can cause some respiratory problems. Maybe do a search on it
along with other "toxic" woods.
Scott 
Scott

alscalls

Reading that reminds me....I wear a respirator when using this stuff and it has hard and soft spots so I must take care as to not use any real soft wood in a friction call such as this or it will sound more like a turd than a turkey.  :laf:
This particular piece seems very hard throughout....I got lucky that is why I chose it for this project. and so far it is working....I told Mike also that it was taking a long time cause once I cut the rough boards out for the call I left the way over sized to see if there would be any warping.... then I cut them much closer to the size I wanted and waited again to see if there was any change in the wood.....warping and or thickness changes.
If I just thew it together and shipped it  I would risk the wood not being right and the box would be who knows what shape when it got there and it would not sound good at all.....
The wood has dried for many years but you just never know what it will do when you cut it so caution is key when harvesting your own wood especially. I just put some green wood back to dry after cutting it into workable blocks and I got in a hurry and forgot one step and mold appeared in three days so I had to do some quick work to contain the problem and now I think I am good but ya gotta keep an eye on it or it can get to far along and go real soft on ya. :wink:
I gotta get out and find some burl wood soon :wo:
Jim,
that piece is 3/8" thick and I will try and carve the lid out of it after testing the hardness and sound I think shes right. :biggrin:
AL

John_NY

That wood is pretty. You're gonna have some nice looking calls when you get done.

John
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

duckslayer

I am just wondering how many of you were face mask when you are working with your lathe.  Just one of these last comments got me thinking about it.

Coulter

Very Nice Al...I love spalted woods, but you're very right - they are a real pain the keister to work.

Duckslayer...I never do anything without a dust mask anymore, not even drilling. I learned that lesson the hard way. Always wear protection no matter how petty the work seems at the time.