• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Frogman gets out again . . .

Started by Frogman, April 24, 2009, 09:20:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frogman

A friend of maine has been after me to come up to his place for some coyote stands.  So yesterday afternoon 4/23/09 I joined him for a couple of afternoon stands.  He took me to a really nice place not far from a farm house.  We set up on an elevated bank above a creek overlooking some nice big meadows. 

First stand was here . . .

I started with some high pitched prey distress sounds on my old Sears predator call.  I thought it would be good to start with since it was quite a ways across the holler to the woods across from us.  Almost immediately I saw moverment on the hillside across from me.  I soon made out five or six deer running from left to right just in the woods above the meadow.  I waited a few minutes then played the fawn distress sound on the Scorpion which was set up behind and to my right about 30 yards.  My friend Carl was about 30 yards on past that also looking down on the meadows.  The cattle were very interested in the fawn distress. . . .

But, unfortunately that's all we called in.  I didn't use very loud sounds on this first stand because I knew we would be doing another stand not too far away.

Next stand was about 300 yards on out the same hillside overlooking another part of the same very long meadow. . . .

This was another very promising stand location.  My friend had trapped three coyotes from the area just across from these photos.  I was expecting a coyote to come down the small holler that you can see in the above photo.  As soon as I got set up I started this stand with a couple of howls with the wvhillbilly howler.  This guy immediately stared barking back at me . . .

He kept it up for several minutes.  Prolly scared all the coyotes out of the country. 

We stayed at this spot for about an hour.  I was expecting a coyote to show up at any time since we know they are in the area.  Just no takers on this day.  Maybe the squirrel scared them all off???

Sure was a beautiful afternoon to be out.  The birds were singing, everything was green, just a really nice afternoon.  We are already planning to come back to this spot either earlier in the morning, or for a late evening, night stand or two. 

Hope you guys enjoy the story and photos, even though we didn't get anything, except the enjoyment of being out!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

pitw

Enjoyed both the stoy and the pics.  Sounded like a nice way to kill part of a day.
I say what I think not think what I say.

FinsnFur

Looks like some nice country too. I can't believe how green everything is, except the trees.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

KySongDog

I enjoy reading about your hunts, Jim.  With or without fur down in them.   ;yes;

Hidehunter

Quote from: Semp on April 25, 2009, 05:36:25 AM
I enjoy reading about your hunts, Jim.  With or without fur down in them.   ;yes;

x2

That sure is some pretty country.  It looks like everything is turning green a little faster in your area than it is down here in Summersville. 
Denver                                           

Frogman

Hidehunter,
  Yeah,  even the trees have lots of green leaves on them already.  The past few days have been really sunny and warm here.  You must be a little closer to the mountains there at Summersville.  I used to come down to the lake a lot to scuba dive. 

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!