• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

NH Coyote

Started by Highwaystar, March 14, 2009, 03:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highwaystar

Friday February 20, 2009 we were at a farm in Lee,NH at 4:00 PM. The wind blowing 25 mph. The snow crossing the fields like a sand storm in the desert. We had the field at our backs using it as a funnel, as we have not been pulling them into the fields.
We set up at a new spot different from were we had been hunting and this time we changed our time and place for a stand. Dan went up wind and I down wind watching the back door. Dan doing the calling. I set up on the edge of a swamp and sat by a big old pine. It was a good spot. It felt right. Dan let the caller go and I was thinking the wind might play with the sound, but he had it playing just right. Because about 8 minutes into the call I saw her come in on my right. She was dog trotting and I figured she had winded Dan. She kind of caught me off guide as I was thinking approach not exit. But, that's coyote hunting. Had no idea I was there, went behind a Pine and that is when I raised my new AR and flicked the safety. She heard that as she was only 30 yds away from me. That was that full run. I was on target fast as I have a Burris red dot site on the AR. Shot 3 and led a little more and hit her with the 4th down and hit her again with the 5th just to make sure. The .223 60grn V-Max that I handload did a great job. Hit her in the shoulder and the other just behind. Did make a mess of the hide on the one side with no exit. She weighted in at 40 lbs 8 oz.

The rifle:
S&W M&P-15OR .223 REM 16" Barrel
CAA Rubberized Stock Saddle
CAA UPG16 6 piece interchangeable pistol grip
Winter Trigger guard
Viking Tactics Wide Padded Sling
C Products 5 rd clip
Burris XTS-135 XTREME TACTICAL SPEEDDOT RED DOT SIGHT
XTR Xtreme Tactical Ring

I like the rifle alot. It is just what I need, as I hike alot coyote hunting between setups. The front care, short lenght, lite weight it is all good. Has to be my best rifle so far. The site: Well that has to be the best site to hunt coyotes I have used. I shoot both eyes open and the dot is just right there. I hunt in cover and it can get fast. I hunt winter weather so, that means white back ground. Red on white can't beat that. The whole setup works.

Highwaystar
Time is hard to come by. Don't waste it.

alscalls

Welcome to FNF
WTG!!!  :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

wvhillbillyhowler

Silencer

Welcome aboard, great play by play story and nice coyote  :congrats:  Congrats !!

Hidehunter

:yoyo:  :yoyo: Nice yote and welcome aboard.
Denver                                           

FinsnFur

Nice job and yes sir welcome to our site.  :yoyo:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

vvarmitr

Welcome aboard Highwaystar!  :biggrin:

Thanks so much for the story & pix. WTG!  :thumb2:

Bills Custom Calls

Good Job Welcome to the site
Thanks for the Story and pics
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

pitw

Welcome and thanks for sharing the story and pixs. 
I say what I think not think what I say.

Highwaystar

Thanks to all for the welcome.  :yoyo:

Highwaystar
Time is hard to come by. Don't waste it.

KySongDog

Nice pic and story!  Welcome to FnF, Highwaystar.   :congrats:

bushmaster

And he kicks down the door with a knockout story of coyote success!!

Welcome!!
"Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it." -PSALM 34--14

Integrity of character and clarity of thought are vital to quality of life.