• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Trying my hand at some duck calls

Started by BigB, November 18, 2009, 07:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigB

I haven't made many predator calls lately, because the duck calls have my interest right now.  Here are some of the latest duck calls that I have made.

Stabilized maple burl over a black acrylic sleeve and band

Another stablized burl sleeved over a black acrylic sleeve and band. 

Stabilized burl barrel and aluminum band.

The inserts in the above calls all have matching pieces of burl that the barrel has.  The insert is actually a 5/8" clear acrlylic rod for the entire length of the insert, and the burl is glued onto the acrylic on the exhaust end.

Stabilized burl over a black acrylic sleeve/band with a black acrylic insert.

Thanks for looking.
Brian
hand call user primarily, but if you gotta use an e-caller, there ain't nothing that sounds better than a Wildlife Tech

alscalls

AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

golfertrout

yes they are. they look like glass, they dont even look like wood. they could be in the Fenton Art show. very nice

coyote101

NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

FinsnFur

Holy cow BigB! They look like they are worth $300 buck a piece. Absolutely beautiful work. :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

timbertoes

WOWOWOWOW!!  :eyebrownod:
Those are awesome!

what do you get $$ for those ?

Meet your adversary on a common ground of wits and skill.
Leave the E-caller at home with the video games.

Hawks Feather

Another great job on the calls - even if they do sound like a duck when you use them.   :roflmao:

Jerry

BigB

Quote from: timbertoes on November 18, 2009, 09:18:20 PM
what do you get $$ for those ?

As Todd would say - "Brian, you need to sell more calls."  That's because I don't sell many.  Most of the calls I make are given to friends that take me hunting around here.  The last call in the post was given to my younger brother for his birthday.

Brian
hand call user primarily, but if you gotta use an e-caller, there ain't nothing that sounds better than a Wildlife Tech

pitw

Unbelievable
I say what I think not think what I say.

msmith

Mike

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI

HaMeR

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Silencer

iahntr

Beauties as usual Brian.  :congrats:
Ya got any sound clips of em?
Scott

Coulter

Daaayummmm! Those are outstanding calls Brian! I love 'em all, keep up the great work man.

Steve

BigB

Scott, I used to use esnips for sound files, but got a virus from that website.  So, I currently don't have a website located that hosts sound files.  If you know of a good one, I can make a sound file of and get it uploaded.

I like the way they sound and each one sounds a little bit different.  I am learning that there are a lot of ways that people blow duck calls.  I can make these things sound totally different than some of the guys that have blown these calls.  I'm no cotest caller by any means and I'm learning more and more about making duck calls with each one that's made.  We killed 7 mallards and a teal yesterday morning using one of my calls, so I think that I must be doing something right.  :laf:

Brian

iahntr

I haven't done a sound clip since we had that calling contest on here
maybe a couple years or so ago. I did mine with a mic in my laptop, and
then,,,,,, I don't remember.  :nono:    :laf:
Trust me, I know your a stickler for detail, I'm not doubtin the sound of em.
Just would like to hear em if ya had a clip.  :wink:
Keep up the good work.  :congrats:
Scott

timbertoes

Hey, BigB;
your ISP has "homepage" drive space, that you are paying for...call them and get it setup. You can FTP sounds files to that drive space.

the URL usually looks like   woohwoohwooh.yourispname.threeletters/~BigB

Now for that extremly useful information......

Tell us about that awesome wood. how are you doing it !! ??
Meet your adversary on a common ground of wits and skill.
Leave the E-caller at home with the video games.

BigB

Quote from: timbertoes on November 19, 2009, 08:39:43 PM
Now for that extremly useful information......

Tell us about that awesome wood. how are you doing it !! ??

The wood is a stabilized maple burl in the top call and the other calls are either maple burl or box elder burl, I can't remember which.  There's a few places around that stabilize burls.  They impregnate acrylic into the burl to give it the colors.  Each burl is a surprise with what is waiting inside ready to be displayed.  I buy them already stabilized.  They are kinda expensive, but the end justifies the means.

Brian

alscalls

Quote from: iahntr on November 19, 2009, 08:28:18 PM
I haven't done a sound clip since we had that calling contest on here
maybe a couple years or so ago. I did mine with a mic in my laptop, and
then,,,,,, I don't remember.  :nono:    :laf:
Trust me, I know your a stickler for detail, I'm not doubtin the sound of em.
Just would like to hear em if ya had a clip.  :wink:
Keep up the good work.  :congrats:

I have NEVER been able to make one work right....... :doh2:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Todd Rahm

And some fine predator duck calls they are too............................................damn that blue looking was is cool as all get out!!!!! :bowingsmilie: :bowingsmilie: :bowingsmilie: :bowingsmilie: :bowingsmilie: :bowingsmilie: