• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Saturday Morning

Started by JohnP, January 30, 2010, 03:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

After all the nasty weather we been having, rain, wind and snow I knew the coyotes would be hungry and moving.  I was on my first stand at day break, four or five dry stands later I knew I was the only dumb one out here.  On the way out I decided to try one more stand.  Glad I did.

Twenty-nine pound male, came into cottontail distress.  I picked him up at about 100 yards, he dipped into a ravine and I never saw him again until he came out very near the caller and about 20 yards from me.  Rem Mdl7 Predator, 22-250, 55grain V-Max, Rem case, CCI primer, Accurate 2230 powder. 
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Frogman

Nice looking kitty!!  Good shooting!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

KySongDog

Another nice one!   :congrats: 

Looks so peaceful all stretched out and sunning itself while taking a very, very long nap. 

Silencer

nice cat, we made a few stands this morning, man was it bitter cold and I figured they'd be out hunting but didnt have any takers, didnt even get tracks.   

Hawks Feather

Nice looking cat.  So the doctor has cleared you to resume hunting?  Or was this just one of those side trips?

Jerry

HaMeR

That is a very nice cat John!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:  Congratulations!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

alscalls

AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

JohnP

No he had not Jerry and it was a very foolish thing for me to do.  I am paying the price for it now as I sit here.  The pain is excruciating and keeps shooting up my leg.  I think my wife is going to change the combination on the gun safe, at least she has threatened to.

iahntr

Very nice John !
Congrats !   :congrats:
- edit, you posted while I was, really sorry to hear your pain though.  :sad:
Scott

FinsnFur

Beautiful cat John :yoyo:
29lb'er uh? he should make a lot of meatballs :eyebrow:

I was gonna try and make a few stands myself today. This is the first day we've had sunshine for a long time, but I just couldnt' squeeze it in. Had to make a run to town this afternoon and the fields were filled with deer too :doh2:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

GunDog

Nice Tom with some pretty spots on him Mr JohnP. I have a couple of rifles that like those Hornady V-MAX's too! I'll have to try out your recipe, ya didn't mention how much of the hot stuff to ad though. You take it easy on those feet, I'd hate to hear mama locked ya out of your own toy box, grin.

John_NY

Nice looking cat. I went out last night. 20 below zero, clear sky, no wind. Never seen or heard a thing. But that cold sure does do a job on a fellas "ego".  :roflmao: 

John
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

pitw

Great looking cat[What do I know, never seen one :rolleye:] John P.  I'd be thinking you need to do what you think you need to do :wink:.  Thanks for posting the story and pic. :biggrin:
I say what I think not think what I say.

golfertrout

Raven42

here kittie kittie. boom. good job.
Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person. (Fred Bear)

Jimmie in Ky

I noticed you asked aboutthe 788 in another thread JP. I have a pair of them. One in 7mm 08 and another in 22-250. The 250 is about worn out. Debated on buying a new rifle of having it rebarelled. I love those old guns and just aint ready to part with them at all. Both rifles have put down their fair share of deer and coyote.

Your ulimited cat seaon sort of makes me jeolous  :eyebrownod: Jimmie

JohnP

I had a few of those rifles over the years and regret that I sold or traded them for something "better", trying to keep up with the Jones.  There is no doubt that I would have that rifle re barrelled, if'n it was mine.

Although we have no bag limit on bobcats we do have a season 1 Aug through 31 Mar.

golfertrout

GunDog

The 788 in 308 has been my "go to" gun since I brought it back in the late 70's Mr JohnP. When I found out my first born was going to be a son I brought another in the 243 caliber, this was early 80's. The old 308 has killed more whitetail than I can remember. The 243 up until this past winter probably hadn't had three or four boxes of shells run through it. We're now shooting a few coyote with it since we started loading. Both of these are the short rifles. I found a 22-250 / 788 over in Macon that was a good bit longer. The folks wanted 2 1/2 times what I paid for the other two when they were new. I wished I'd brought it too .... they are very good rifles indeed.

Jimmie in Ky

Last I heard going rate for a good one was 350 or better even for the carbines. I would very much like to get one in 222 or even hte 30-30. I know of one in 30-30 and he isn't parting with it. Jimmie