• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Antlers OK calling contest contest and intresting pics.

Started by stevecriner, January 29, 2007, 07:43:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevecriner

Alright the title explains it's self a little bit but not in entirety. I'm also going to double post this on some other forums so don't get flustered when you see it. There's been a lot of discussion on group hunting methods and others. Well CrossJ, Rshaw, and I started hunting Thursday on a ranch that had just been gunned a while back and shot 3 coyotes out of the four called in that day. It was a good day of hunting and camaraderie. Then we left Friday for an area in OK that we had some hits on land to hunt for the contest Saturday. We scouted all day to find land that was right in the heart of ROAD HUNTER CENTRAL. See fig #1.
  FIG#1

There were over 40 coyotes on that fence. There were leg bones from years before, and up to day old kills on that fence. It was the stupidest thing I ever saw. Talk about ammo for anti's but anyway. We called the rancher and asked him what the story on the coyotes that were on the fence was. He said." They are from my brother in law. He feeds with me on weekends." There were coyotes literally on every corner of the section and at the headquarters gate. Anyway that's all we had so we stayed after it.
Saturday morning rolled around and the weather was terrible. We had rain, sleet, snow, and wind. We made a couple stands before we had a taker and shot her. It was raining so I would not say perfect conditions for that stand but it worked. A few stands later we were walking in on the ranch and walking right by a coyote that had been chipped from the road and left to rot the night before. She was still in wet blood and had a nice coat that was there to ruin. 100 yrds past the coyote we seen two coyotes bump out of the calving pasture so we redirected our stand a little north and started calling. A few minutes later and two different sounds we had a coyote down. That was number two. We called in high wind for the rest of the day for two more coyotes. We split second and missed heavy dog by a hair. It was a good day but the conditions were not perfect. The coyotes were shy and shot up but certain set ups and combinations worked. Here's is some pictures from the weekend. It was definitely a learning experience. Sunday we only shot one but me and Randy Shaw got to see a Goerdie walk right by a coyote and watched its reaction. It laid down in the grass a disappeared and let him by. And this was right after a shot at another coyote less than a 150yrds away, simply amazing. I'm a believer in certain combinations working on any coyote if you get out there. Sometimes I catch myself using road hunters as an excuse to loosely. After this weekend I realize that. Yah they make it tough but some have to live with it. Some don't. But its something very adaptable.

Also I filmed this a week or so ago and thought some would enjoy. Fact is ,Goerdie knows this coboy and he shoots a lot. Coyote is really scared lookin huh?? Could he be a supposed transient that wondered in and didn't know the cowboy? Maybe? But if he wondered in he came from the ranch next door and they shoot too. Road hunting is a factor that will give different results but not adaptable.

" I love coyote huntin",and the folks that learned me the way"

Hunters Specialties
"For Sportsman, by Sportsman"

FinsnFur

We got a couple groups of road hunters that that blaze around sections here also. Very aggravating I think.

Hey so where's the "Antlers Contest" part of the title come in?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

stevecriner

Am i that boring that you dont read all my stuff???
QuoteThen we left Friday for an area in OK that we had some hits on land to hunt for the contest Saturday.
QuoteSaturday morning rolled around and the weather was terrible. We had rain, sleet, snow, and wind. We made a couple stands before we had a taker and shot her. It was raining so I would not say perfect conditions for that stand but it worked. A few stands later we were walking in on the ranch and walking right by a coyote that had been chipped from the road and left to rot the night before. She was still in wet blood and had a nice coat that was there to ruin. 100 yrds past the coyote we seen two coyotes bump out of the calving pasture so we redirected our stand a little north and started calling. A few minutes later and two different sounds we had a coyote down. That was number two. We called in high wind for the rest of the day for two more coyotes. We split second and missed heavy dog by a hair. It was a good day but the conditions were not perfect. The coyotes were shy and shot up but certain set ups and combinations worked. Here's is some pictures from the weekend. It was definitely a learning experience

Hunters Specialties

KySongDog

When I first saw the title I thought it was about deer antlers.   :confused:   :biggrin:  But its a coyote calling contest called Antlers, right?

CrossJ

The contest is held in a town called "Antlers". It is in southeast Oklahoma.

keekee

Good going guys, sounds like tough area to hunt and you did well with what you had to deal with.

Brent

Brad H

Well done on the story and the hunt. :highclap:

We don't have road hunters here, but we do have coyotes on fences. It's a common sight in some areas here that most are used to. The good thing is, the antis won't ever see'em.

Brad

(edit) Steve, I've got a couple buffalo horns to send your way. I'll let you know when.

stevecriner

Hunters Specialties

FinsnFur

Thanks CrossJ..I was still  :confused: scratching my head till I got down there to your post.  :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

stevecriner

Hunters Specialties

FinsnFur

Not your fault Steve, look at ya  :rolleye:

:roflmao: Just kiddin

Puddle hoppin, tail strippin, tree trimming, buck nekid Criner  :innocentwhistle:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

stevecriner

Hunters Specialties

Smith

Way to go you guys :highclap:!

About the only one that does any road hunting around here is me, I shoot 20 or so from the pickup in  the winter. I sure as hell would never leave them hanging on a fence.

Lucas

Right thing easy, wrong thing hard...