• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Question about public land for Kentucky guys

Started by cityslicker, June 15, 2010, 08:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cityslicker

Do any of you hunt the WMA's in the state? A friend of mine wants me to take him coyote hunting, but I don't have permission to bring him to the private property I hunt. I was thinking of Yellow Bank WMA or Taylorsville WMA. I know it's not ideal, but figure it's worth a shot.

topdawg

i used to hunt alot of wma land.... the only problem i had was all the people out rabbit and deer hunting.... now i only hunt the wma during feb. and march.  The other thing that hurts yote hunting in the wma around my house is all the roads that cut through it.  It never fails when i go out on the wma's, about half way threw the stand someone would dump a load of rabbit dogs out  :madd:
my goal: do as much as I can, as fast as I can, for as long as I can, and at the end of the day if I'm not satisfied I will be to wore out to care

weedwalker

Most of my hunting is on public land. I hunt the big strip job WMAs like Begley, Graham, Ataya and Redbird in eastern Ky.

topdawg

were you are at weedwalker is there much day to day hunting pressure during season....when we was up there i didnt see many hunters besides us..which is always good
my goal: do as much as I can, as fast as I can, for as long as I can, and at the end of the day if I'm not satisfied I will be to wore out to care

weedwalker

Quote from: topdawg on June 15, 2010, 10:44:32 PM
were you are at weedwalker is there much day to day hunting pressure during season....when we was up there i didnt see many hunters besides us..which is always good

Jeremy, most any other hunters you see over there are after different game. Deer, elk, rabbit and birds. In the last 5 years I have never ran into another coyote hunter while I was there. And with all the people driving around looking at the elk, the coyotes are used to seeing vehicals. I have had trucks and ATVs drive right thru my stands and have coyotes come in 5 minutes later. So the traffic dosen't bother me too much. I just quit calling till they get past me.

Jimmie in Ky

Just scout them well before you take him, and make sure they are open to hunting right now. If you are palnning a trip soon.

In winter it is another story. No matter what wma you choose there will be some type of competition. Look for deep cover areas then. Jimmie