• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Latex Reed Howlers

Started by FinsnFur, January 07, 2011, 04:50:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinsnFur

I've never owned an E.L.K. Howler Scott so I cant tell you how much of what was done. But here's some close ups.

And yeah the reed is actually a 7/16" to 1/2" section cut from the finger of a latex glove. Brent used to swear that not all gloves produced the same sound, he never would tell me what kind he uses, but he did send me a sack full and told me how to cut them.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

bigben

I have made three howlers with the ELK mouthpiece in that is stuck in a cow horn.  two are at my house and a third a good friend won from a ppha event.  I have been using a elk howler for a while now.  since a friend turned me onto one I would say about 5 years ago.  The horn definitely makes the elk howler complete.  the one I have pictured below is the one I won the ppha callin comp with earlier this year.  with cutting reeds I have always used textured gloves.  The reed I have on this howler has been on there for three years and still sounds good.  I was thinking about changing the reed out but don't want to fix what isn't broke per se. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

CCP

QuoteI have made three howlers with the ELK mouthpiece in that is stuck in a cow horn.

Ben you need to make more. I get at least 7 to 10 people a month e-mail me asking where they can get one..I would happily send them your way.

I still use mine all the time. I use the latex gloves also and they work great you just have to play around with them to get the pitch/sound you want and I have to replace them every month sometimes less.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

FinsnFur

Same here I'm wondering how your getting three years out of a reed. I have to replace mine every season cause it's all dried up crackly.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

bigben

CCP.  I already have a list of people from pa that want one from me.  I got offered 200 bux for the one pictured above a year ago.  biggest issue right now is time and I really do not need a "hobby" that will turn into work. 

jim.  I do not know why this reed has lasted so long.  when I get home I will tell you the type of gloves I used.  I know that regular latex gloves are not good reed material.  the biggest thing that killed my reeds were when the edge would roll on itself and get stuck to itself.  once it did that it sounded terrible.  the textured gloves wont allow that to happen because they are textured.  but I am serious I have the same reed on from three years ago.  I changed it out last the first year we had the ppha calling comp.  and its been on there ever since.  maybe it is the type of glove.   :shrug:
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

bigben

pictures of the reed.  sorry for the cell phone crappy pics.  but its the best I got available. 

KySongDog

Quote from: FinsnFur on January 10, 2011, 09:09:49 AM

And yeah the reed is actually a 7/16" to 1/2" section cut from the finger of a latex glove. Brent used to swear that not all gloves produced the same sound, he never would tell me what kind he uses, but he did send me a sack full and told me how to cut them.

How about a short little tutorial on how to cut the reed from a latex glove?   :innocentwhistle:

FinsnFur

It sucks...is that too short? :laf:

I know their not regular gloves Ben. Thats why I said Brent used to swear that not all gloves produced the same sound, he never would tell me what kind he uses, but he did send me a sack full and told me how to cut them. :shrug:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

bigben

agreed with jim.  Cutting latex gloves for reeds sucks.  I used a pair of sharp scissors that I used for fly tying.  but it still doesnt cut it as clean as I would like it.  what I did when I cut some for the other howler was I used a new razor blade.  Placed it where I wanted it at and hit it cleanly with a small ball peen hammer using a piece of pine board for the table.  cut clean and was straight. 

FinsnFur

Thats exactly what I do, brand new utility blade out of the knife.  But I dont hit it with a ball peen hammer. I use a screwdriver handle and I do the whole gig on top of a magazine.

The last thing you want to do is slide the blade back and forth too. :laf: :doh2:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

CCP

QuoteCutting latex gloves for reeds sucks.

Piece of tile or tile floor with a razor blade and a 1" wide finger nail file.

I think the ones I cut Fri were from the last glove I have. We got some latex gloves in the work truck that work perfect for the sound I need and grab one or 2 every so often. I know most use the ring finger but I use  all three of the fingers except the pinky and thumb.  :wink:

If I can find a glove I will do a video on how I do them.

Disclaimer: Remove your fingers from the glove before cutting...
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

FinsnFur

Quote from: CCP on January 10, 2011, 03:40:04 PM
Disclaimer: Remove your fingers from the glove before cutting...

Now.... ya say something about that
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

CCP

QuoteNow.... ya say something about that

yeah PITW didn't pay attention to the disclaimer either.  :shrug:
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

pitw

Quote from: CCP on January 10, 2011, 03:51:11 PM
QuoteNow.... ya say something about that

yeah PITW didn't pay attention to the disclaimer either.  :shrug:

At least I didn't try to take off the hole finger like some I see :sad3:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

FinsnFur

Well, anyway. The reed turned out good.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

bigben

if you do not have a finger in the glove how do you hold it good?   :laf:

KySongDog

I've heard some say only use the part of the glove between the first and second knuckle on the ring finger.  Does it really make any difference where you cut it on the glove?

Bopeye

Yep to all of it. Love my howler. I have one that I got from Kee and then I have one that hasn't been altered. The horn surely does add a richness to the sound. Gotta have it.
Ben, if you ever need some extra cash you could do it. Brent made good money on his howlers. About 200% profit if I was guessing.  :eyebrownod:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

iahntr

Interesting. Thanks.
I was gonna try one different times in the past but never did.
After seein this I picked one up Saturday for the heck of it.
It sounded ok, but I wasn't like, "wow" or anything, didn't sound as
good as your video I didn't think. I may hafta mess with it some.  :eyebrownod:
Scott