• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Dead End Tracks

Started by weedwalker, January 10, 2011, 05:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weedwalker

It looked like a good day for a hunt today, so just after daylight I slipped over the hill here and went to my neighbors farm. We didn't get any more snow last. I walked back an old log road into the property and right away it was looking promising. There were coyote and bobcat tracks EVERYWHERE.

I was finding a lot of scent post where the coyotes were making their mark.

On my 2nd stand, I was using my squeaker bulb and a coyote came in to 20 yds on my right rear and was standing there looking dead at me. I tried to ease around for a shot but he could run faster than I could turn around. :eyebrownod:

On my 4th stand I was sitting on a hillside looking down into a brushy hollow. I started out with the squeaker bulb again. If you look in the center of this pic, there is kind of a clear lane straight in front of me. I spotted a coyote about 100 yds out coming straight to me up that lane. The wind was blowing from my left front to my right rear. When the coyote got to the bench you see about 40 yds in front of me he was temporarily out of sight. He popped over the bench about 20 yds to the right trying to get my scent. I said "I GOT THIS BABY" and at 35 yds I knocked her flat with a load of 12 gauge "BBs". She dropped right in her tracks.

I made a couple more dry stands and called it a day. Here's the hero shot.

slagmaker

Now thats how you spen an afternoon in the snow.

Congrats on the fur down!!
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

KySongDog

Quote from: weedwalker on January 10, 2011, 05:40:48 PM
I said "I GOT THIS BABY"

:alscalls:   I luv it!   Nice going, Ed! 

Bills Custom Calls

Yep looks like a great day  :congrats: :congrats:
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

coyote101

Way to go Big Ed.  :yoyo: :yoyo: Yet another one bites the dust.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

golfertrout

wat to go Ed looks like you had a gooooood day :yoyo:  i like your snow camo to :eyebrow:  looks like alot of tracks there

HaMeR

Cool deal Ed!! Glad you got out & was able to bust a dog. And find it!!  :wink:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

HuntnCarve

Looks like the "Coyote Magnet" has got his magnetism back! :highclap:  Way to go Ed!

kyfuzzyface

WTG WW
Congrats
Good story and Pictures
Fuzzy

wked

Ed pm'd me this morning and said "Looks like a good morning to hunt yotes."  I said, "Post up the pics so I can remember what they look like." :confused:  He did good!  Way to go Ed! :highclap: :highclap:

WldWldWest

Way to go Big Ed!  Diggin the snow camo, Where did ya get it?
"Choot...Choot em Jacob!"

!

BigB

Congrats!

Interesting look to that coyote.  They head on it reminds me of a husky, and not much of a coyote.  Maybe it is just the camera angle and colors of the head area.  But the rest of the body is 100% coyote. 

Brian
hand call user primarily, but if you gotta use an e-caller, there ain't nothing that sounds better than a Wildlife Tech

securpro

:highclap: :highclap: Coyote = 0 , Coyote Magnet = 289756396 this year  :innocentwhistle:
"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

securpro

FinsnFur

This guy dont mess around :yoyo:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

weedwalker

Quote from: WldWldWest on January 10, 2011, 08:57:40 PM
Diggin the snow camo, Where did ya get it?

Doug, I ordered the snow camo from Sportsmans Guide 4 or 5 years ago. It's hit or miss when they have it available. You just have to keep checking with them.

weedwalker

Quote from: BigB on January 10, 2011, 09:08:15 PM

Congrats!

Interesting look to that coyote.  They head on it reminds me of a husky, and not much of a coyote.  Maybe it is just the camera angle and colors of the head area.  But the rest of the body is 100% coyote. 

Brian

I thought the color was kinda different too. The front half was the regular kinda yellowish grey and the back half was more red.

possumal

Mighty fine, Big Ed.  The bobcat tracks are something we've seen before, haven't we?  I think this picture qualifies for the Abominable Snowman award of the year. 
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Okanagan

Thanks for the good read.  Man there are a lot of predator tracks on that lane in the first photo.  How many hours or days was the snow there to accumulate tracks?

linemansteve

Way to go  ED good looking coyote.  Very good write up.  Steve
No signature required,my hand shake or my word is good enough.
Saw a women texting while driving and it really pissed me OFF, so I rolled down my window and threw my beer at her.

weedwalker

Quote from: Okanagan on January 11, 2011, 12:04:23 AMMan there are a lot of predator tracks on that lane in the first photo.  How many hours or days was the snow there to accumulate tracks?

It had been 2 days since the snow. There are a lot of coyotes in there. But they get called to a LOT. I think they've heard every screaming rabbit sound on e-callers and hand calls that there is. Besides me there are 3 or 4 other guys that hunt it and one of those guys would hunt it 2 or 3 times a week for a while. The coyotes got to where they wouldn't respond to anything.
So I tried a different approach. I took my shotgun and hunted tight to thick cover using VERY light calling with only lip squeaks, coaxer calls, and a squeaker bulb. Both of them came in to the squeaker bulb.