• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

cast iron cookware

Started by riverboss, June 17, 2013, 08:16:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinsnFur

Is that little pod, cooking platform thingy, part of the pot kit or is that someone elses? Thats pretty slick in itself.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Okanagan

Snapped a pic of my Dutch oven to show more detail in case anyone isn't familiar with what we are describing.  The lid has a low wall all around the edge to hold hot coals on top of the cast iron oven, adding heat from the top as well as from the bottom to brown the top of bisquits etc.  The legs on the bottom barely show but they are about 1 1/2 inches long and raise the bottom above a layer of coals.  Ones made for stove top don't have the legs of course.  The legs are for campfire use.

WldWldWest

My contribution,
Most if not all is 75 yrs old or older passed on from my Dad
The bean/stew pot is my favorite.
I have another 8-10 pieces that I never use I will dig them out for pic's

"Choot...Choot em Jacob!"

!

coyote101

Here's mine:

That big skillet is 15 inches across the top, the little one is 6 1/2. The one at the top left of the picture was my wife's grandfather's. The skillets and that largest griddle at the top are all used, at least occasionally. The muffin things and the bean pot never get used. I tried to make some corn sticks in one of them a few years ago, but they didn't turn out well. My wife uses that small skillet in the center of the picture to make corn bread.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

bigben

We use castiron at camp. A good long deer season cooking bacon seasoned the set we have well.

In scouts we would lightly oil the inside while still warm after cleaning then i take that paper towel and stick it so it holds the lid open. Like someone pointed out earlier they will rust if the lid is kept tight.
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.