• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

My first limit of squirrel

Started by bigben, Yesterday at 06:55:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

So the whole time i have ever been hunting I have never limited out on squirrel.  Got close alot of times.  6 is our limit.  A lot of days of 5 down and the 6th have always eluded me.  I looked at the weather and after a bunch of nice days to hunt threw the week saturday looked to be a bit warmer.  Instead of hunting archery I decided to head to our mountain ground to get a limit.

I had not hunted up at the mtn for years just because honestly its pretty rough terrain for this fat hillbilly.  I used to hunt deer there a lot but the last few years I stayed down off the steep.  Last year the family said theres no deer up there and opted for the low lands they could drive their cars too.  I wanted to do some deer scouting as well as squirrel hunting. 

I got to the cabin around sunup.  Plenty light enough to hunt by then.  As I was unloading i heard several barking and cutting around the cabin in the hickorys.  I gathered my stuff and started up the steep.  Shortly after moving along I seen my first squirrel.  I decided to carry my 10/22 this time for accuracy.  The first squirrel slipped out on me and moved on quick.  Before I could step forward a grouse flushed and landed on a log right in front of me.  We used to have a good pop of them when i was a kid.  Anymore its tough to even see them.

I worked my way along up the steep rocky side of what's known as the north mountain of cumberland county.  This is part of the Appalachian mountain range and this particular section actually doubles on its self similar to a river.  I'm not sure of the angle going up but the topo lines are close together.  I think i measured it at over 40 degrees when I was younger.  The mountainside had been logged decades ago.  Most of the trees are hickory and oak with tulip poplar speckled in.  I got to the next logging road and there was a limit alone running through the hickory trees there.  I drew a bead on the closest one and after a crack the first of 6 was in the bag.  As I made my way up another showed itself and after another crack number 2 was down.  There were several more opportunities but having to want to gather my two up and not have to remember where they all lay I went after them figuring the others would come back.  After collecting the first two i sat for a few minutes to rest and to the west of me another limit bouncing through the trees drew me from that hickory grove to the next. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

Hawks Feather

Congratulations on limiting out on the squirrels and for taking us along on your hunt. While you got those six I would still be huffing and puffing about half way up.

bigben

So as I made my way across the mountain now not wanting to loose elevation I got over to the next grove.  I heard one in the leaves above me.  I patiently waited and sure nuff about 10 yards away a young one popped up on a log.  I aimed for the head and shot and hit him in the jaw.  Walking up to him i remembered close it hits almost an inch low.  With that number 3 was in the bag.  I worked down to a more comfortable perch against an old cherry tree.  I stood watching three squirrels work a oak tree 50 yards away.  Very fast they were and no shots connected after trying two times.  I heard one below me working his way up.  Figured I would let him come to me as far as he could before shooting.  He stopped on a log about the same distance away as the last one.  Holding high I shot and this time i caught him right across the top of the neck.  He sprung and ended up almost back down on the road below me about 40 yards away.  I felt like it was time to get off that steep terrain as I worked my way down to number 4 he sprung up and ran a few yards away.  it was clear only the front legs were working and I felt bad.  I threw my hat at him got him back out at 10 yards and sent one through the head of him. 

Once on the road I worked my way back out across the mountain.  At the next group of hickorys there were several below me but again not wanting to loose elevation I stayed on the road.  One behind me started scolding me.  I spied him about 25 yards away plastered tight to a horizontal falling tree about 10 ft off the ground.  I held on him hoping he would move a bit.  His back was showing and getting impatient i shot and he came off that log and skidded down to me.  Number 5 was now in the bag.  After collecting him I turned around and all the ones below me were gone.  I chose to work my way out the road to the edge of the property and see what was out there for deer sign figuring i would surely come across number 6 fairly quick.  I seen a few more but with the rocks they slip out as quick as they came in. 

It was getting warm and I decided to go back to where number 5 was and sit and wait.  This hollow had some meaning to me as I hunted it pretty much all my youth.  After getting sat down on the road legs hanging over the steep edge with a nice gun rest right there I waited.  10:30 had hit and i knew they wouldn't mess around much.  They would come and then leave as fast.  About 10:40 one came up I tried getting on him but he wouldn't stay still. I stayed in a seated position rifle propped on my left knee waiting and watching.

I figured i would wait till 11.  I still had squirrel that needed cleaned and some chores at the property needed done.  Figuring i was again stuck at 5.  Around 10:50 a pretty large squirrel came up and I waited till it came as far as it dared.  Sensing something wasn't right it turned and worked its way back down the mountain.  It was about 25 yards away when it stopped on a rock and looked around.  I settled the crosshairs and squeezed the 1.5# trigger.  I felt the recoil and watched as it tumbled off the rock. 

I gathered my gear and worked my way down to find a large mature female.  With that my limit was had.  I never figured it would have taken till i was 39 to do it but i always gave up after midmorning.  and the area was target rich. 

Thanks for following along.

"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

bigben

Quote from: Hawks Feather on Yesterday at 07:29:38 AMCongratulations on limiting out on the squirrels and for taking us along on your hunt. While you got those six I would still be huffing and puffing about half way up.

Thanks hawksfeather. 

Okanagan

Good for you to get a limit!  I enjoyed the read.  That was real hunting!

nastygunz

Do you have any fox squirrels there? That looks like rattlesnake country.

bigben

the fox squirrels come through every now and then.  Its funny you say about rattlers.  one of my favorite spots to hunt is on the property next to us.  ex amish men bought it and are in the process of destroying it and building a highspeed wifi tower to sell to the english.  Part of why I suspect the deer shifted over to our area was the fact they put in a highway leading to the top to get equipment up. 

KySongDog

Nice write up on your hunt. Congrats.