• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

.410 Thunder!

Started by nastygunz, October 03, 2026, 05:59:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

nastygunz

Big old mountain squirrel, .410, 3 inch, #6 shot. Straight rifled barrel with XX full turkey choke, about 30 yards.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

FinsnFur

Mountain squirrel :highclap:
Whats causing that hologram funk on your contender pic?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

   Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates


 https://finsandfurhosting.com

nastygunz

Eye donte knowe. A big squirrel like that we call it a squabbit  :biggrin:

Okanagan

Good stuff!

I never heard of a straight rifled barrel before. Advantages?

I have wondered how a spiral rifled shotgun barrel would treat buckshot, but never tried it to find out.

nastygunz

Generally when you shoot any kind of shot out of a barrel with rifling because of the rifling you get a donut pattern as it spins the shot outside and then you get a hole in the center of your pattern.

Under the NFA it is illegal to have a smoothbore handgun that shoots shot. Straight rifling eliminates the spinning shot and donut pattern and keeps the gun legal.

That is a custom barrel, if you look down the barrel inside you can just barely faintly see some very light straight rifling which makes it legal fulfilling the requirement to have rifling which doesn't specifically say what kind of rifling, and eliminates the doughnut pattern.

In Canada there is no requirement for rifling and snubby shotguns are legal.

With all this new stuff going on with suppressors and short barrel shotguns and rifles at some point you may be able to buy short barrel smoothbore shotguns.

I wish I would have had that back in the day when I was growing up and cruising the back roads road hunting for Partridge was a time honored tradition.

nastygunz

I have that set up with fiber optic sights which coexist with a red dot sight so I can use either one.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login